Engine stumbles (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

My 1993 stumbles and sometimes almost dies while driving. (no codes) I replaced the fuel filter and sock, and tuned everything up. I believe the connector into the MAF may be the problem. I can even reproduce the stumbling if I just barely wiggle the connector. I am working on fixing this. I will watch this threat with interest as sometimes the one-plus-one rule applies and it may be more than one problem.

OP...any updates?

As for me, I did replace both Knock Sensors and the Engine Temp Sensor. Found the lead from the ETS barely existing and repaired. Unfortunately, my symptoms still exist....and I'm now @ 10mpg for the 2nd tank....down 30% .

Back to the FSM drawing board!

Update, I have done no maintenance to the truck, it's all sitting in the garage. And the problem has only occurred once in a week. Still have the codes, so I'm not sure what's the problem.

I had a fuel pump on a 91 mini truck cause a similar issue (the post about it shutting down and starting again after several minutes). It had been acting up and that was the day I confirmed it because it would not start right after it died and you could tell the fuel pump wasn't running (no noise). Tried it like 10 min later and it got me home. My issue started as some stumbling and took a whIle to get worse and was erratic.

UPDATE #2, It’s been a little cold outside for maintenance work. The engine stumble/shuts off has only occurred once in the past 2 weeks. But I now have a CEL of #71, not sure if it is related. Will keep updating.

Well it was like summer in MD the past couple of days. So I changed out the wires, cap, rotor and plugs. LC still stumbles at any given time. Wait 30 sec and it starts right back up. Got a CEL of 71, but that the EGR. Any suggestions

If your EGR valve is stuck open at low speed or rpm it will cause rough running or a stall.

@GeoRoss The stumbling only occurs while you’re driving. Does not matter at what speed, come out of the blu
The EGR code has come after the stumbling occurred.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom