Engine Replacement Questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Tried to find information but I must be bad at searching because I didnt find any info. Please point me in the right direction if there is a thread on this already.

I have a 2000 LC100 with 297k miles. The other day it overheated and it seems that the engine is shot.

I am looking to purchase a used 2UZFE engine with around 150k miles and have someone install it. I have a few questions that I would appreciate help with.

1. Does any 2UZFE engine work? Or does it have to be a specific LC100 engine? i.e. would a Tundra, Sequoia engine work and if so, are there any issues making them fit in the LC?
2. The manufacture date seems to pop up as being a differentiator. After 05/00 seems to be a different model. My VIN seems to show 06/00 as the manufacture date
3. Are there other parts that I should be buying in this process? I am planning on doing the timing/water pump while the new engine is out.
4. I am seeing 20-25 hours for replacement. Does this seem about right?

Thanks in advance!

I did a similar search and I didn't find much. I too am in similar situation. I just picked up my 2nd 100 series on 3/21, 1999 LC with 250,000 miles. Her engine too was toast, I think the owner neglected her timing belt maintenance.

I bought her in non-working condition from a really nice guy for a great price. My mechanic told me that he'd be able to swap the engine with a used 2UZFE (2004 Tundra) engine with 100k miles. I haven't given him the green light yet because I was wondering if anyone as tried replacing the motor with a 2UZFE motor as well and/or a diesel motor swap?

If I decide to go with the 2UZFE engine, I'll be sure to keep an eye on this thread and post the progress in reviving her.

GL

See Scored 2007 Unicorn. The holy grail of 100 series.

@chrsar
Where any 2UZ-fe 4.7L non VVt will work. i.e LC, LX, GX, 4runner, tundra, Sequoia. My preference would be for a Japanese built. USA Tundra, Sequoia are more readily available and cheaper. But some USA made had issue with busted rods. Of course there are plenty USA made doing just fine. The closer you are to your year, the better. 2000 -2002 LC or LX are drop in. If you go for a non LC or LX engine many parts must be swapped. Naturally that would increase labor. Basically all the 2UZ-fe long blocks are the same. But things like oil pan, dip stick, wire harnesses, oil cooler and more need swapping if you go non LC/LX.

I did a 06 GX470 swap into a 07LC. These are the VVT which cose more and harder to find. I used the GX470 smiplly becasuse it was the best engine I could find. It had perfect filter and oil change history.

@ElementalE I'd consider just doing a timing belt job. Provided no signs of overheating!

@chrsar
Where any 2UZ-fe 4.7L non VVt will work. i.e LC, LX, GX, 4runner, tundra, Sequoia. My preference would be for a Japanese built. USA Tundra, Sequoia are more readily available and cheaper. But some USA made had issue with busted rods. Of course there are plenty USA made doing just fine. The closer you are to your year, the better. 2000 -2002 LC or LX are drop in. If you go for a non LC or LX engine many parts must be swapped. Naturally that would increase labor. Basically all the 2UZ-fe long blocks are the same. But things like oil pan, dip stick, wire harnesses, oil cooler and more need swapping if you go non LC/LX.

I did a 06 GX470 swap into a 07LC. These are the VVT which cose more and harder to find. I used the GX470 smiplly becasuse it was the best engine I could find. It had perfect filter and oil change history.

@ElementalE I'd consider just doing a timing belt job. Provided no signs of overheating!

Good stuff to think about. Thanks for the reply!

I will try to find a 2000-2002 LC or LX engine. I’ve seen them on eBay with 150k miles for $800-$1000 with free shipping.

I had already bought an Aisin TB/WP kit so I will install that before replacing the engine.

Shop said $2500 for labor but that seems a little high in Tennessee for the amount of time it seems to take. Hoping to find someone to get it put in for $1500.

Thanks again!

I saw many engine for sale "claiming" low mile or series 100 (LX/LC). The Engine has a VIN# on RH head below head cover. Pull history, due your home work. Once you find one, you need to be careful the engine didn't set out exposed to the elements. This includes front end damage where hood's not making a good seal. Also engine being washed and setting. Water can get into intake ports of head. If water sets in these more that a few weeks, you'll have a smoker best case.

Also I'd not buy one the intake manifold has been pulled off. All to often the yard does not clean the area between head and intake. They pull intake and sand falls in the intake ports.

Last edited:

@chrsar

@2001LC and @97 AZ LC The previous owner had also considered replacing the motor. The motor had over ~275,000 miles, blown head gasket, I think the car had been sitting there for a year, I went through and inspected the motor with my mechanic (who I trust). He showed me all the parts to where there was permanent damage caused by overheating. I picked up the 99' LC for $1k... So I knew what I was getting into... but I appreciate you guys looking out!

@chrsar : My mechanic is this Vietnamese guy (previous land cruiser owner) in the hood of Oakland, CA. Its too bad his English is poor/fair- to be able to give you some advice. He quoted me $3200 for the motor swap + timing belt + labor. So you are in the ball park range. Just remember sometimes finding cheap labor can translate into a poor job. I am going to get further details about the donor (VIN) motor/vehicle due to the suggestion from @2001LC :cheers: thank you

My next concern is the transmission. If the vehicle wasn't managed well with over 275k miles, should I budget for a tranny swap as well? And if thats the case... is it possible to do a diesel conversion on a 100 series land cruiser?

This community is pretty awesome. Thanks guys!

@2001LC and @97 AZ LC The previous owner had also considered replacing the motor. The motor had over ~275,000 miles, blown head gasket, I think the car had been sitting there for a year, I went through and inspected the motor with my mechanic (who I trust). He showed me all the parts to where there was permanent damage caused by overheating. I picked up the 99' LC for $1k... So I knew what I was getting into... but I appreciate you guys looking out!

@chrsar : My mechanic is this Vietnamese guy (previous land cruiser owner) in the hood of Oakland, CA. Its too bad his English is poor/fair- to be able to give you some advice. He quoted me $3200 for the motor swap + timing belt + labor. So you are in the ball park range. Just remember sometimes finding cheap labor can translate into a poor job. I am going to get further details about the donor (VIN) motor/vehicle due to the suggestion from @2001LC :cheers: thank you

My next concern is the transmission. If the vehicle wasn't managed well with over 275k miles, should I budget for a tranny swap as well? And if thats the case... is it possible to do a diesel conversion on a 100 series land cruiser?

This community is pretty awesome. Thanks guys!
I'll add; Once you VET the engine, scope the cylinders. I learned this the hard way. A local guy 50 miles north of me and in mud. Got burn on three in a row. On his last one he got enough of a refunds he's having engine rebuilt.

We don't see many failed transmission. The early ones that did have issue, one would think it would have failed before 275K.

I've got a 00LX no start field find w/560K KM (~350K miles) on the clock. I flushed transmission about 2K miles ago, with 12qt of Mobil 1 MV ATF. It is the highest mileage trans I've ever flushed. So far so good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom