Engine removal (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I currently have a fj40 that I am working on. Right now its on jack stands. Somehow I need to get the F-Engine off the frame. However I do not have an engine jack so i have a problem. does any one know of a way to get the engine out without an engine jack?

is it in a shop? could you span across the trusses and just pick off that with a come-a-long?

I own an engine picker now but before that I would rent one for a few hours and get it done. before that I would use the cieling trusses as Paul suggested and a come along and lift it then roll out the truck, cheers, Larry

Big tree? Harbor freight s pretty cheap to buy one. Or find a new bud

before that I would use the cieling trusses as Paul suggested and a come along and lift it then roll out the truck, cheers, Larry
rolling the truck would be difficult cause ive taken the axles off.

Open the yellow pages and call all of the auto parts stores to see if you can rent one.

Any large equipment rental could help you with a engine hoist or cherry picker. I suspect you could get one for $30-40 per day. Course to reinstall the engine you are looking at that times two. You might as well buy one for $125-150 and then sell it locally. Then you would have it available for your whole project. Post an ad locally or under craigslist and see if someone responds with a dusty one for sale. If you buy used, check it out first. Make sure the piston is operable and not leaking.

word of freindly advice,rent or buy a 2 ton cherry picker, as a 1 tonis real close to the max. jim

I think I have found a place where I can rent one. how many pounds is the F-engine? I ask this because aparently they only have one that can lift 1200 lbs

The F engine weighs some 750 lbs, give or take.

A hayneedle works!
IMG_0249 (Small).jpg

You need one of these: It's a 2 ton engine crane from Pep Boys $139 with a $20 rebate. It isn't great quality, but it gets the job done.

IMG_5235.jpg

Do your friends wrench?
Get a few to go in with you on a puller...

That's what I did and between the three of us, It's paid for :D

Just recieved spam mail....Harbor Freight has store wide sale...20% everything in the store. http://www.harborfreight.com/

Prices Valid 6/10/07 - 6/19/07

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom