Engine hesitation (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Yes, remove all EGR plumbing, including the flanged pipe coming off bottom of exh manifold, the cooler and the EGR valve itself.
Thanks Jim. Do you want me to order those parts online or through here? (wasn't sure if they are all in stock)

So, removed the electric fuel pump and using the engine driven pump. What I noticed was the fuel in the site glass with the electronic pump was about 3/4 up the window. With it removed, it was under 1/2.

Took it for a test drive and started out good, then struggled if I added any decent throttle. Seemed like fuel stuttering. Going to have to figure out how to adjust that float I think. Question...if the timing were still off, would this make it stutter with added throttle? It idles pretty nicely...and I have it set right at about 700 rpm at idle. I have a new engine driven pump on the way, and carb/air cleaner spacer gasket.

And...I noticed this with the Amp meter (see video). When I started it the needle was jumping all over the place. Can this be a loose ground someplace?
@Chuckha62...it's not a voltmeter, but how did you do this: Once I SAW it happening, I jumpered around the switch and it stopped dropping voltage.

Please order the desmog parts from the website, it's easier for everyone.

Timing being off will not cause a stutter. It will cause reduced power output.

The ammeter behavior is normal for a points regulated alternator.

Please order the desmog parts from the website, it's easier for everyone.

Timing being off will not cause a stutter. It will cause reduced power output.

The ammeter behavior is normal for a points regulated alternator.
It’s got the Pertronix ignition and coil in it.

The alternator voltage regulator is an archaic electro-mechanical box with contact points in it. It is a binary device: full charge or no charge. The twitching guage is the points opening and closing, overshooting & undershooting the desired charge voltage.

It’s got the Pertronix ignition and coil in it.

Are you working with an original distributor? (Never mind noticed the experts figured that out already)

Is the mechanical advance working properly? Sometimes you can just remove the cap and clean up the weight surfaces and make sure the springs aren’t missing to make it work again. My 60 and 40 centrifugal weights both were completely frozen from sitting. This helps performance off idle. I’m sure someone with better knowledge can tell you with more specific pictures. It’s worth a shot to make sure all of that’s moving freely.

Are you setting timing with the vacuum unplugged and capped off at the carb? (Read that you disconnected and capped the carb so that’s good)

Setting at 7 BTD( the bb mark) are you using a timing gun? Silly question I know, but just curious how you’re finding this setting.

EEE809C4-61E7-4665-824D-3F5A0355DEFA.jpeg

Last edited:
@FJ40Jim...thank you for the explanation...I had a feeling you meant something else, but that helps me understand better. This thread is pure education for me...

@rsnellie Is the mechanical advance working properly? Sometimes you can just remove the cap and clean up the weight surfaces and make sure the springs aren’t missing to make it work again. My 60 and 40 centrifugal weights both were completely frozen from sitting. This helps performance off idle. I’m sure someone with better knowledge can tell you with more specific pictures. It’s worth a shot to make sure all of that’s moving freely. This is a good suggestion because when I disconnected the vacuum advance hose, the timing didn't really change. I thought there would be some sort of change, but didn't notice anything. That was my timing question.

Setting at 7 BTD( the bb mark) are you using a timing gun?
Yep, timing gun...but it's not at 7 btdc...if you are looking at the window, the bb is down to the left pretty much out of site to get the engine to start and run. If I try to set it at the left most limit (so I can just see the bb), it doesn't want to start.

I need to do a coolant flush also to fix this overheating issue...I flushed the system about a year ago when I put in the new hoses, radiator, thermostat, fan clutch...but it was rusty water...I suspect something has clogged it. Need to get that flush kit today and let it run for a while.

I'm not sure how to get to the centrifugal weights...I think they are under this plate. How do you get the plate off to see if they spin:

The PCV plate & hose should remain in the side of the intake manifold.

The EGR block off plate goes at the other end of the EGR where the flanged pipe comes down off the exh manifold.

I do make a block off plug for the threaded fitting where EGR is connected to intake manifold pipe, but can't find a pic ATM.

It's similar to this brass one,
but machined from a steel bolt.
@FJ40Jim ...is this the correct one from the website? Or does that only fit an 81-87? If it's not the right one...how do I order the correct one?

I'm not sure how to get to the centrifugal weights...I think they are under this plate. How do you get the plate off to see if they spin:

I can’t remember off the top of my head, it’s either a screw under the rotor in the shaft or I think there are two retainers that hold the plate assembly in. Yes the weights should be under that.

Last edited:
I can’t remember off the top of my head, it’s either a screw under the rotor in the shaft or I think there are two retainers that hold the plate assembly in. Yes the weights should be under that.
I took out the screw from the middle of the shaft. I took out the vacuum retard which was held in place with a retainer clip. There isn’t anything lease that I can see that’s keeping it on
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_23a0.jpg

Last edited:
I'm taking a fork in the road. If that engine has any clean plugs (tan and not black), then I'd check the spark plug wire, and distributor cap, at #5 for continuity, zip up the distributor, and make sure that the valves on #5 are in spec.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom