Engine Fulsh and 3rd member questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
1st question: Has any one done an Engine flush with the gunk stuff? Did it make any difference or caused more problems? What are the pros and cons?

2nd questions: When you installed ARB locker in your rig, did you replace the inner parts of the 3rd member such as the carrier bearings, seals etc. or got a new over haul/setup kit?

Thanks a bunch for the info...

Riad

Riad said:
2nd questions: When you installed ARB locker in your rig, did you replace the inner parts of the 3rd member such as the carrier bearings, seals etc. or got a new over haul/setup kit?

Thanks a bunch for the info...

Riad

Yes to all of the above. I just did a f/r ARB install along with 4.56 gears and replaced the works, everything. I figured since I was in there and my rig has 160k miles on it, I should replace everything. I got all my parts from CDAN, at reasonable price.

Biff, totally no disrespect ment here, but we do drive Toyotas. Unless they look worn, i see no reason to replace the gears or guts of the diff, unless of course you are going for a different gear. I think a lot of us, myself included, start replacing stuff just because it has high miles on it only to find when we tear in there that the part looks almost new.

As long as you have gone to all the trouble of having everything apart--why not replace the bearings? I just did 4.88's and replaced everything Thanks to C-dan--the old bearings did look good but it makes me feel great knowing I can go another 130k and not worry ;)

concretejungle said:
Biff, totally no disrespect ment here, but we do drive Toyotas. Unless they look worn, i see no reason to replace the gears or guts of the diff, unless of course you are going for a different gear. I think a lot of us, myself included, start replacing stuff just because it has high miles on it only to find when we tear in there that the part looks almost new.

Well its not just for the sake of replacing it, I did have a reason which was to bring me back to stock performance which I did not have due to all the mods I've made. But I do agree with you Toyota quality is exactly why I have this rig.

concretejungle said:

It's not normal to install new gears and not replace the bearings. Even if they are good, it just makes fiscal sense.

I can see the bearings, and possibly even the race; i just read the question as saying "the works" so i figured they meant everything.

Well, I guess every one has their own look and feel opinion on this. To me, replacing the inner parts would totally depend on how worn out they really are, for just to install the ARB locker. For example, generally, in a dana 44 or a 60 one would simply replace an open carrier with the locker and put every thing else back in the housing with it. Now for our birf 3rd member, I guess it can be a totally different story. By all means, while installing "new gears" one should replace all the setup parts. But simply for a locker it may not be the same case, unless ofcourse if the parts are different between a locking and non-locking 3rd member OR they are damaged/seriously worn out.

Any one want to take a crack at the 1st question?

Thanks

Riad

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom