Engine electrical question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 1971 FJ40 and have a question about an item on the firewall. Could somebody tell me what the white item attached to the firewall is? The pink wire is switched hot and has two additional black wires (one on each terminal) both going to the positive side of the coil. If this is some sort of fuse, shouldn't it be the pink hot in and the other terminal to the coil?

Looked on numerous wiring diagrams but couldn't find it or figure it out.
Thanks, Tom

image.jpeg

Do the wires go to the coil? If so, I'd guess a ballast resistor. What's the actuator arm thing?

Re-read your post. It's got to be a ballast resistor.. Maybe the stock one went bad? Not sure if stock '71 had one.

Definitely a ballast resistor for your coil

Do the wires go to the coil? If so, I'd guess a ballast resistor. What's the actuator arm thing?

Re-read your post. It's got to be a ballast resistor.. Maybe the stock one went bad? Not sure if stock '71 had one.

This has vacuum assist for the 4wd and a lever under the dash for the transfer case. That is part of the mechanism for low, high etc

Only have owned this for a couple of months and the po said he switched to electronic ignition. From my research, it indicates this reduces voltage a little so the points won't wear as fast. I will go out and pop off the distributed cap to double check but no points, no need for the resister?

The resistor is for the coil. The resistor reduces voltage to 9.6ish volts, if the coil ran at 12+ volts continuously it would crap out.

If you can believe the FSM--the coil should always have 12volts---This is for a 77, so the 71 may be different. If I am reading the wiring correctly, the coil should have 12 volts supplied to the starter(during start), afterwards, the coil voltage runs thru the ballast resistor to keep the points from failing prematurely.

ignitor insp.jpg

77 fj40 starter wiring1.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom