Engine cleaning (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Areas of concern with the pressure washer would be:

Hot turbo(cracks)
wiring(shorts)
intake piping(water ingestion causing damage)

Other than that. The engine is meant to get wet.

Nothing wrong with a pressure washer. Just avoid those areas. And keep it back a distance.

A diesel is more water friendly than a gasser with ignition and a carb.

You just do not want to shock cool the turbo. Or get water in electrical connectors. They are sealed a bit. but pressure will force into them.

You intake piping should be fairly sealed. But if you aim the pressure at the ends it might be bad.

Ok, shampoo and pressure away.

13BT does no tlike water down below the throttle body, there is a VSV valve that if it gets wet won't allow hte engine to shut off...

the throttle body is the aluminum part where the cross over pipe does a 90 degr down, from there to where the air enters the actuall engine block.
the VSV is a vacumm switching Valve that is located under and towards the back of the block slightly. it will have 2 vacumm lines running to it and an elec connection...
if this gets wet then sometimes you can not shut the unit off...

M John Galt said:
Pardon my inexperience with this engine, but I don't follow what you're saying about "below the throttle body" and "a VSV valve"

Some folks have relocated their VSVs because of the wet problems... a search with "VSV valve" gives you the pertinent threads....

https://forum.ih8mud.com/search.php?searchid=691327

HTH
B

To add to Waynes' comments; If the VSV is wet and the engine will not shut off with the ignition than you must do a manual shutdown by pushing a lever near the injection pump.
MyDodge did this also after a washing.

Try washing the engine with liquid hydrocarbons 1st then the build up of dirt and grease will come off with the garden hose.

roscoFJ73 said:
Try washing the engine with liquid hydrocarbons 1st then the build up of dirt and grease will come off with the garden hose.

When I worked in a garage Paraffin was the stuff to use, spray on with one of the spray attachments for a compressor and then agitate with a brush, finally wash off with a hose and everything will be clean.

mjohn7 said:
To add to Waynes' comments; If the VSV is wet and the engine will not shut off with the ignition than you must do a manual shutdown by pushing a lever near the injection pump.
MyDodge did this also after a washing.

Or better yet, on a 13B-T just lift the rod under the intake vacuum pot, the one that the VSV actuates.

Sheldon

To be honest, any cleaning apart from plain cold water will dry out the rubbers. I always spray the outside of rubber pipes with WD40 to counter this, plus rubber belts I occasioanlly spray with rubber conditioner (the stuff I use for cleaning and conditioning exterior and interior rubber trim), seems to work OK.

hmmmm..... hydrocarbons (wd40) on rubber seems like it would be the drying agent. Silicone spray might be a better option.

I use the citrus (smaills reel purdy) engine cleaner from Canadian Tire®, which does a great job of removing any oil and dirt/grime, however the engine ends up very dry after that. I like to coat the whole engine bay with a can of Liquid Wrench® (the one with the aqua/turquoise coloured cap), I'll use this over WD-40® as the former is non-flamable - under the hood... that's a good thing.

It's worked for me for at least the nine years I've owned my 60 and if you're not the one working on your engine, it's always a pleasure working on a clean engine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom