Engine block paint colors (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Deciding on painting the block while doing a rebuild and looking for ideas.

if you can add the paint color you chose/brand and would you recommend it?

I used duplicolor DE 1653 for the red and VHT SP997 New Iron for the spark plug covers and block. Very happy with these colors. Absolutely no complaints, no chipping and has been resistant to chemicals. 45k on the rebuild in Phoenix heat and going on 6 years.

1615074036339.png

1615074046602.png

Anyone else what’s to show off their painted blocks?

I've seen some engines painted Cummins beige, besides Cummins engines of course. If I ever get around to rebuilding a 1FZ-FE I'd probably paint the whole thing Cummins beige. Good color for a working engine.

I used duplicolor DE 1653 for the red and VHT SP997 New Iron for the spark plug covers and block. Very happy with these colors. Absolutely no complaints, no chipping and has been resistant to chemicals. 45k on the rebuild in Phoenix heat and going on 6 years.

View attachment 2605309
View attachment 2605310

Superior job. I am envious. 👍 :wrench:

Used Duplicolor
Gloss black for the block and red for the valve cover.

The black looks great on the stand but really darkens the engine compartment. I do like the Cummins beige idea.

IMG_20180713_202236.jpg

Thinking of going light grey/silver. Want more light when working on the truck. Also maybe makes spotting leaks easier. Though I like the beige idea. Hides dirt while staying light color.

Thinking of going light grey/silver. Want more light when working on the truck. Also maybe makes spotting leaks easier. Though I like the beige idea. Hides dirt while staying light color.
Some great examples in this thread. Makes me want to pull my engine again and try a new color. NOT!
I went with the Henry Ford sales motto, "you can have the model T In any color you want, as long as it's black."

Some great examples in this thread. Makes me want to pull my engine again and try a new color. NOT!
I went with the Henry Ford sales motto, "you can have the model T In any color you want, as long as it's black."
Thanks for posting

Curious--what are the thermal effects of painting the block and valve covers? Presumably this will make the engine hotter/lose heat more slowly. I can see ceramic coating the manifolds to lower heat bleed into the engine compartment, but that's routed away. To what extent do hi-temp paints insulate the engine--or is the effect negligible, all things considered? And what would happen if you went with ceramic on the block itself? Would this cause overheating?

Haven't pulled my 1fzfe, but when I do. it will be a color to provide contrast to everything else. My 22r that is about to get in my pickup came to me black. Probably won't stay that way, as I like to see more things quickly.

Really hard to see leaks on black, so I am looking at tan, grey or silver.

Curious--what are the thermal effects of painting the block and valve covers? Presumably this will make the engine hotter/lose heat more slowly. I can see ceramic coating the manifolds to lower heat bleed into the engine compartment, but that's routed away. To what extent do hi-temp paints insulate the engine--or is the effect negligible, all things considered? And what would happen if you went with ceramic on the block itself? Would this cause overheating?

i would expect it to be negligible, iron blocks come painted from the factory. the engine is liquid cooled so primary cooling is through the rad or other heat exchangers like the heater cores, while you will lose some radiant heat through the block/head contacting cooler air its not your primary cooling route so itll have a negligible affect.

ceramic would hold heat in the block and not be ideal, holding the additional heat would put additional demand on the cooling system

I always go light grey, typically I use Tremclad/Rustoleum.

The grey really helps to spot leaks and it’s a lot brighter in the engine bay as age makes vision s***ty🤦‍♂️

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom