Electrical help needed (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
1973 FJ40 - Turn signal, indicators, blinkers inop.

The turn signals on my 40 suddenly stopped working and I can't seem to figure out where the problem is. I fixed all the bad grounds recently and they were working perfectly along with all the rest of the lights. Now everything works except the turn signals.

The hazards still work and all the fuses look good. I assume the hazards and turn signals use the same fuse and the same blinker relay/flasher?? Is there a way to test the turn signal switch in the steering column?

I am not sure where I should be looking at this point. Help appreciated.

Since none of them work, I would look at the fuse and just as important, the fuse holder. Disconnect the + battery cable and clean all the fuse holders, re-install new fuses and see what happens.

GL

Ed

Degnol said:
Since none of them work, I would look at the fuse and just as important, the fuse holder. Disconnect the + battery cable and clean all the fuse holders, re-install new fuses and see what happens.

GL

Ed

Hey,, ED.. if you see that bad ass 40 again you posted in chat... take some pics of the steering setup.. sorry didn't want to impose on this thread

grant5127 said:
Hey,, ED.. if you see that bad ass 40 again you posted in chat... take some pics of the steering setup.. sorry didn't want to impose on this thread

It is full hydro. But if'n it is out tomorrow and there are no pig fxxxin's goin' on....I'll get a pic:D

Ed

BTW, someone posted a great idea for cleaning fuse holders. Use a .22 cal bronze bore brush.

Just disconnect the battery first!

Degnol said:
It is full hydro. But if'n it is out tomorrow and there are no pig fxxxin's goin' on....I'll get a pic:D

Ed

BTW, someone posted a great idea for cleaning fuse holders. Use a .22 cal bronze bore brush.

Just disconnect the battery first!
the 22 cal. brush thing... when you get good at it, no need to disconnect the batt.

If the above suggestions don't fix the problem and you want to check the turnsignal, remove the steering wheel and plastic column cover. Once the wheel is off you can see the turnsignal switch. I believe you should be able to check the switch itself once exposed, plus you should be able to trace the wires to the wiring connector. You can then isolate the problem. Is it a bad connector, a switch or something else. When I was having problems in my 73, I scraped the OEM fuse box and replaced it with a couple of small aftermarket blade fuse boxes. My oem one had broken a couple of the fuse clips. I moved the new boxes up high under the hood. Now they are easy to reach and see. One is keyed and one is hot all the time.

try a different flasher maybe, i had this problem once and for some reason the hazard would work and the turn signals wouldn't ended up being a worn flasher . :doh: i ended up cuting the oem end off the wires and buying a generic electronic flasher for $5 bucks . just a thought .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom