Electrical Dilemma- Cig, radio and clock off (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi everyone! Having some electrical issues in my 80 series. My own stupid fault unfortunately. Tapping into 12v source at the back of the cig plug, decided in my infinite wisdom to test my UHF before wrapping exposed solder. Positive and negative touched, shorted out and boom- no power to cig plug, radio or clock.

Cig plug fuse in drivers side footwell was cooked so replaced that- still not love. I've seen on other threads people talking about fusable links so thinking it might be that somewhere, but wouldn't have a clue how to find that.

Any advice would be hugely appreciated!

Two fuses in that circuit; one may be one of those square "fusible links." Cannot recall exactly

The fusible links are at the battery. Go from positive terminal out to small square black plastic box. Has (3) wires in it.

Buy a new set for about $15. Buy two and keep one in glove box.

I believe the Toyota terminology for the square fuses is "fusible link."

Sorry for the confusion.

Two fuses in that circuit; one may be one of those square "fusible links." Cannot recall exactly

Good stuff mate, I'll have to go for a look. Perhaps I should go for a hunt for the factory wiring diagrams somewhere?

The fusible links are at the battery. Go from positive terminal out to small square black plastic box. Has (3) wires in it.

Buy a new set for about $15. Buy two and keep one in glove box.

Definitely worth a try for $15! Thanks mate. If it was a problem that high up do you think I could expect more issues though? Literally the only things not working are clock, radio and cig. Still starts and runs fine, no issues with power steering, etc.

Check the fuses in the engine bay fuse box. I think there's a fuse for this in the fuse box in the engine bay. Maybe labelled dome light?

Yep checked and looks good. Tried a new fuse anyway to be sure but still no luck.

Those three are definitely on the same underhood fuse.

This may help track down the issue.

Tempted to just do a dodgy and use the power factory power outlet box to provide accessory power to cig plug and radio and constant power to clock...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom