electric replacement for fuel pump (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
im lookin at replacing my stock fuel pump with an electric one. what have you guys had luck with out there? 70ish F motor

I've run a 4 psi Napa $40 pump for a number of years...

That said, I have a new OEM one ready to go in...

IMO unless there is some reason the stock one is not sufficient, run it. It is less likely to fail than any aftermarket electronic, and doesn't create any amp draw.

yah i think mine may be on the way out. id like to go OEM but hard to find around these parts, im not even sure whick one to order. im pretty sure my engine is a early 70ish F but i cant find the block numbers that match. amd it seems to have mid 70's style pump the one with all the screws on top. im not sure what years are interchangable.

I have one you can have for $50 shipped. Should work. I think there are two styles, one with a return line and a spacer, one with no return line and no spacer. I have the one with no spacer and no return line.
Here is a picture of it:
http://www.sor.com/sor/cat028.tam?xax=24503&page.ctx=cat028.tam
It fits '58-'78
It is almost new.
PM me if interested.

I use a carter rotary pump. It is quiet and has lasted several years so far. I purchased one of those "square" ones and it ran very loud (drove me nuts). I think the carter ran about $40.

If you run an electric, be sure to have a backup. But, I have had the same electric pump for 3 years now without any problems. I think it costed $30.00 at Autozone. Amp draw is not a real big deal on a Cruiser with very limited electronics to begin with. The stock paddle pump is great, but mine broke on the beach and I was stuck for about 6 hours. The electric pump would have taken about 8 minutes to change out.

Sparky_Mark said:
I use a carter rotary pump. It is quiet and has lasted several years so far. I purchased one of those "square" ones and it ran very loud (drove me nuts). I think the carter ran about $40.

OMG my carter electric is loud. It's mounted to the firewall too. And I think it's pushing the float level too much since it's always at the very top or past the sight window on my F 2 barrel carb. I think I'll be going back to the stocker very shortly.

i find 50 percent of the time if you just take the oem mech.fuel pump apart and clean it real good,blow through it etc it will work just fine.but always check that the diafram is good no pin holes and such.

Make sure you have a return line to the tank if you use an electric pump

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom