Electric heater ! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
South western alps south east part of France. Righ
Hi everybody!

The heater of my toyota takes a long time to heat up, about 10 minutes. I was wondering if it was possible to put an electric heater in the circuit somehere? Has anybody adapted one?

Best regards.

Max.

Can this be a heater core issue, or maybe just a low-temp t-stat in winter?

Hi everybody!

Well Wayne, webastos are hard to install, cost a ton of money, nd i don't reay need one i would think! It's below -10 for maty be 3f onths a year. Well, i don't know abut y Tstat, but i'd tink it's the lowest temperature one for hot countries.Well, i think i gonna have to raise money to buy a whole Finnish cruser with webasto, lockers and winches! Thought i don't like their 3 people front seat, may be with a girl it would be better :D:D :D , and it might lack AC for the summer! Well 3200 zoros for a 700000km HJ61 with lockers and PTO. If i had the money it would already be stripped in my garage! Sell the seats, may be the engine, keep the tcase and gearbox. Fit the axles and PTO under mine. keep all the glass, the doors etc.

Bye.

Max.

What'd he say?

If you have a low temp thermostat, then for the price of a higher temperature one and the gasket and your time, you can get it to warm up quicker. That's all I'm sayin.

BTW Max I was in Belfort in October. I know that's North of you, but hey, it's closer than California...

Hi everybody!

Diescipel, i'm just not too keen on changing the tstat. And i'm thinking that the higher temp tstat should take longer to reach it's opening temp no? What were you doing in Belfort hunting the lion? Or trying to import diesel Peugeot into sunny Cali ?

Bye.

Max.

lmao import a Peugeot... I was visiting friends in Bethancourt (sp?). Yes I did see the lion briefly before taking the train back to Paris.

Higher temp t-stat means that the coolant circulating in the block etc. is allowed to reach a higher temperature before it opens and sends the coolant into the radiator, allowing the engine to reach operating temperature more quickly (or, in winter near the Alps, allowing it to reach operating temperature at all). If you have a low temp (82 degree C) thermostat and it's below freezing, you may have lukewarm coolant because the t-stat stays open allowing the rad to cool the coolant more than it should. But you know all this right?

The other option would be to block your radiator partially like long-haul truckers do in winter on their big rigs. My BJ42 has a little curtain you can pull down which I am amazed still works after 22 years. Slip some carboard or something down in there and increase the surface area covered until the desired effect is reached. That is even less work than changing the t-stat.

But does the truck underheat--I mean, what does your temp gauge say? Independent gauge? If so, does it still underheat in the summer? If it does, then you might want to change the t-stat permanently.

If the truck isn't underheating then you may have problems with your heater core.

BTW diesels as you know ignite the air-fuel by compression heating. You may get better performance if the engine is at the right operating temperature, but this is just me applying physics to the situation and I don't know if it really works out that way. I'm just a diesel disciple, after all. One of the priests should let us know.

B

it doesn't make the block heat up any quicker, it just makes the T stat open at a higher temp! in turn keeping your coolent hotter.

an electric heater was the question I would like to know too

I have a powerbox 800 from canadain tire and I want to run a small heater off it too, I need one thqat runss of 500W's or less, any idea's?

Eric Winkworth said:
it doesn't make the block heat up any quicker, it just makes the T stat open at a higher temp! in turn keeping your coolent hotter.

right, that's what I meant if my convoluted prose wasn't clear.

roger, thread was about electric heater, but because the truck took so long to warm up. I try to address root causes, this one seeming like a low temp t-stat in winter.

EDIT: completely forgot, could be a stuck-open t-stat too.

:cheers:
B

Last edited:
Definitely try a piece of cardboard in front of the radiator. Also, maybe change the thermostat. Here at NAPA or other car part stores, and at JCWhitney, you can get a electric heater that plugs into the cigarete lighter, 12V, but some are just for defrosting your windshield, but I think they also have units for heating the interior.

I'm a bit lost here with this talk of winter & summer/cooler & hotter thermostats.Are you saying you want the engine to run hotter in winter than summer?Surely the stat is supposed to keep the engine at optimum operating temp regardless of ambient temp.If you have a stat which starts to open at say 90deg then installing a 'hotter' stat will not make it warm up any quicker but it will run hotter when fully warm.Thats why 80 series cruisers have a pull down blind in front of the rad.That WILL help it warm quicker cos it will stop the cold air flowing through the rad and round the engine bay.90 deg is 90 deg.Doesn't matter wether it's summer or winter.

Towpack

Yes to what you are saying about thermostats. The difference is that if you have lets say a 80 degree thermostat and it is -30F outside, the coolent going to the cab heat is fighting harder than say a thermostat that is 90 degrees. Blocking the radiator does help, but again with cold running diesels, any bit of help is appreciated, at least by me:)

I think a rad blanket or piece of cardboard would work, but mine seems to stay right where it is all summer only -10 to -15. Before this thread was highjackt we wanted to know if there was an electric heater out there anyone uses, that would give instant heat.

One thing I did see was at costco it is a dr scholls back support with heat and massage that plugs into your cig lighter, I would have bought it right away but it is getting to be christmas so I drop lots of hints. LOL it was like 30 bucks or something.

Last edited:
Hi Sat!! You really should buy finnish HJ with goodies like factory installed curtain and extra heater under that awful douple seat :)

Last winter I have same problems in my BJ40 -79: fans visco clutch was dead. Fan spins always, Even when engine were cold and temperature outside -23C.

That extra heater is very good. I guess here all HJ 60, 61s and BJ 75s are with that nice warmer.

Hi HJ60 !

Well daft question, do the Finnish HJ61 have the air conditioning? Cos it gets hot over here in the summer. And i am also worried about the rust, with vehicules which stay 6 month in the snow.

Bye.

Max.

Hi again. Some 61s have ACs. I gues rust and Toyota is very bad combination all around the world... But ofcourse here we have 4 monts (only!!) winter.

It means that HJs here are very good condition (like mine) or really bad.

Hi HJ60!

Thanks a lot for your reply! Well, i haven't seen ay extragood deals so far, and in your country the cruisers have huge amounts of KM! I would love one with PTO and locking axles. I have the central heater under the center console, is it the same which is left under the seat?

Best regards.

Max.

Terve Max!! Reason for hi KM:s Allmost every cruiser had been pro or hardcore use before retirement/hobby use. Towing trailer, military or something else. Also one reason is our car- and fueltax. More you drive the cheaper its going to be with diesel. For example litre of 95e cost 1,20 euro. And diesel is 0.98 per liter. So right now u can see that diesel is cheaper to use. Yes, but we have specialtax for dieselcars: for my HJ60 its over 700 euros per year.
Some calculations: you have to drive manymany KMs to get even with that 700 euros and after that Kms are cheaper. My HJs 255 TKMs are very low, it was a jackpot to find that vehicle. Normally -88 HJs KMs are between 400 to 700 TKMs.

I dont have any manual near me right now. Older HJ60s have extra heater between the seats. And younger ones under the the douple seat?!

Kiitos HJ60!

Well, if ever you see a HJ61 completely wrecked but whick can take the road down to france, and has PTO and locking axles, i'd be intrested to know. Something in the 1000/1500 zoros. I've found a complete set of locking axles and cable mechanism for 1200. Plus shipping, but i bet the shipping gonna be steep.

Bye.

Max.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom