electric fan (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
:dunno:
For all you who have installed and electric radiator fan onto your 2F engine;

1)What do you recommend to set the thermostat at to activate the fan.
2)Do you allow the fan to run after turning the engine off or do you power the relay through the key switch?
3)Have you wired the relay directly to the AC so that the fan is always on when AC is on?

Thanks!

Well, the first part of your post sorta counts me out but I figured you might be interested anyway... I installed an electric fan from a Ford Taurus in my '67 Mustang. It works great! Much better for traffic jams than a belt driven fan.

I bought a thermostat switch for about $25 that you can adjust. What I did was open the radiator cap when it was cold and started the car. Once I saw the fluid was running through the system, I waited about 20 seconds and adjusted the switch so it would just turn on. That way, when I'm driving along the highway air is rushing through the radiator, the fan doesn't turn on. It only comes on while the car is going very slow or sitting still.

I hooked mine directly to the battery with a 30 amp inline fuse. It works well but does turn off and on for 5-8 minutes after turning the car off. This works well for me so I always come back to cool fluid but would not work for those concerned about every ounce of battery juice.

I just finished installing an electric fan in my '72 FJ40. I found that at 600-900 rpm, the solid fan did not draw enough air to effectively cool the stock F engine. In order to get enough room to put the fan in I had to move the radiator support forward 3/4". This gave me exactly 4 1/4" from the back of the radiator core to bolts on the front of the water pump. My first choice of fan was the "Black Magic". That fan needed 4 1/4" of clearance and that would not leave adequate clearance (about 1/2"-3/4") to the engine. I opted for a 16" fan from the same manufacture of the "Black Magic". I paid $149 at NAPA for the fan, and an additional $42 for the variable thermostat. NOTE: After I had paid for it I called around and found the same fan for $101 and the same thermostat for $21. :-/ I fired for the first time today and let it idle for about 15 minutes to warm up then took it for a drive. Much quieter than that solid fan and much better cooling. I waited until the temp gauge got just above the low end of the normal scale and then adjusted the fan to turn on at that temp. This will allow for the thermostat in the engine to open and begin to let the coolant to flow. As for the wiring, I ran a 12 gauge wire directly from the battery to a 20 amp fuse. From there I ran to a heavy duty (20 amp continous current) switch with a leg off to an indicator lamp. From the switch I ran 12 gauge wire up to the fan thermostat. I also ran a 14 gauge wire from the fan side of the thermostat back to the dash and wired it to an other indicator lamp. This way when I flip the switch it sends power to the thermostat and a light on the dash lights up telling me that the fan now has power. Once the engine gets up to temp and the fan kicks in, the other lamp will light up telling me that the fan is now running. If I see both lights on and the temp is still rising, I will know that something is wrong with another part of the cooling system. This may be over kill but I would rather be safe than sorry. I haven't been able to give it a real good test yet but preliminary tests prove it to work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom