electric car through PTO? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Had a crazy idea, what do you guys think? Fit an electric motor to the PTO somehow, battery bank in the trunk, transmission in neutral, transfer case in gear. Drive around town in electric mode. Keep the diesel for long trips. It would be a bit of a project, but lots of info available on electric swaps in other vehicles. Does anybody know the HP rating (ballpark) of the PTO system? I think as long as it can handle >50 HP, it should be fine in town?

Why not just drive the front axle directly? Convert the transfer case to RWD only, that way you have 4WD off road when you need it, FWD/battery for around town and RWD for cruising on the highway.

Chain drive isn’t really suited to a 4wd, one rock or mud will seriously damage it. The PTO isn’t a bad idea however having rebuilt and fitted a few I can say the gearing isn’t really designed for the torque required to move the vehicle. Remember the PTO winch worm drive has a ~250:1 reduction (or similar, can’t remember the exact numbers) so the PTO adapter actually delivers very little torque (just at high rpm). An electric motor would be delivering 100x more torque and I’m pretty sure you’d snap/crack the aluminium housing instantly. (Especially if you want to move at any sort of speed).

Again for durability your only really option would be to drive the front axle directly (disconnecting the front shaft). You would need to find an electric motor with inbuilt gearbox reduction or a LOT of torque.

I mean in the real world it’s just not doable unless you have deep pockets and are doing it for a fun project. Even if it did actually work, the fuel savings would be so minimal you would NEVER make your money back (your batteries would requiring changing long before you made your money back). If you wanna save money on fuel, buy a Prius.

Go for it. I have just been reading up on Neil Young's LincVolt project. Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia › wiki › LincVolt
His theory is that to gain acceptance of electric vehicles, take what we all love and electrify that, and then work from there.
Shure, your budgets may be different, but it's a start. Nobody thought that they would see electric bikes or racing cars. Well they now hold the hill climb records and are ripping up the drag strip.
Why not a 4x4 with all that lovely torque??? And the PTO or better still the end of the mainshaft is perfect . Land Rover used to put their aftermarket overdrives there.

Ferrari did a quick fix when the rules called for regenerative systems. Bolt a motor/generator on the back and wobble the battery/capacitor on the top. Sorted.

_DSC9726.JPG

G

Last edited:
Might be an option to swap the engine with an electric motor and in the extra space put in a generator to charge the batteries if needed on longer trips. But you'd also need to put batteries somewhere. But I wouldn't want to try a water crossing with this...

Fit an electric motor to the PTO somehow

I don't think it would last long, too flimsy for this purpose. The PTO is meant to drive things like winches etc, its not meant for reversing the direction of torque back through the gearbox.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom