EGT gauges (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi everyone. I am trying to purchase a gauge for my LJ78. I have read threads that have included RedArc, GlowShift, and MaxTow. I was hoping to get some board reviews on those, and maybe any other brands that are thought highly of. I have my radiator, hoses, and 82C thermostat on order. My brother in law is delivering it all to Nepal on the 13th. Super excited to see him, and excited about getting my 78 up to speed.

Here are some photos from our last couple trips…

IMG_9589.jpeg

20230420_143025_B2FEAA.jpeg

20240114_224203_5ECCE0.jpeg

Last edited:
Although they are pricey, the fact that Red Arc gauges are capable of “multi-functions” per gauge, makes them my choice.

Although they are pricey, the fact that Red Arc gauges are capable of “multi-functions” per gauge, makes them my choice.
Thanks for the reply @Gun Runner 5. I did check them out. They are definitely pricey but really respect your input here. It might be the direction I need to go for reliability and the multifunction capabilities. Hoping to get some other feedback as well.

Beautiful photos; must be a great place to explore.

No doubt, the Redarc gauges a very good. Another option are Auber Instruments, about $90 per gauge and come with probes/sensors. They are low profile and seem period correct, and come in 24 and 12 volt. I'm using them for pyro, water temp and boost. I have had no issues with them in the 3-4 years they have been installed.

auber install 03.jpeg

auber gauges 01.jpeg

Wow ! What great mountains 😳
What is that in the last photo ? K2 ?
If you are driving at high altitude , the overheating is probably due to excess fuel , or too little oxygen.
Toyota has a high altitude compensator , HAC .
But you must accepte that the car has less performance at high altitude!

Beautiful photos; must be a great place to explore.

No doubt, the Redarc gauges a very good. Another option are Auber Instruments, about $90 per gauge and come with probes/sensors. They are low profile and seem period correct, and come in 24 and 12 volt. I'm using them for pyro, water temp and boost. I have had no issues with them in the 3-4 years they have been installed.

View attachment 3593091

View attachment 3593092
Thank you! Love the set up! I will definitely check them out!

Wow ! What great mountains 😳
What is that in the last photo ? K2 ?
If you are driving at high altitude , the overheating is probably due to excess fuel , or too little oxygen.
Toyota has a high altitude compensator , HAC .
But you must accepte that the car has less performance at high altitude!
It’s Dhaulagiri the 7th tallest mountain in the world. In Nepal we are surrounded by 8 of the 10 tallest. It’s a really fun place to explore. We don’t take the LC too high in elevation. 14,000 ft is usually the highest we get. After that it’s on foot. We just had the radiator go out after several patches. Thankfully though haven’t had too many issues with overheating so far. Just trying to get ahead of the issues and put this little engine in the best possible situation.

Thank you! Love the set up! I will definitely check them out!
Yes, I realize I would never make a living as a professional photographer….. 😁
Here is an example of the “multi-function” feature. The top gauge has boost and EGT while the bottom is displaying oil pressure and water temp. The bottom gauge is displaying the “alarm” feature where the gauge turns red at a certain perimeter. (In this case, low oil pressure).
IMG_5537.jpeg

Yes, I realize I would never make a living as a professional photographer….. 😁
Here is an example of the “multi-function” feature. The top gauge has boost and EGT while the bottom is displaying oil pressure and water temp. The bottom gauge is displaying the “alarm” feature where the gauge turns red at a certain perimeter. (In this case, low oil pressure). View attachment 3593104
It’s really good looking and I love the alarm feature. It’s just high end of my budget for sure and as I kept looking after all the add ons it becomes very expensive. It is less than a cracked header though. Definitely a great gauge.

Great pictures!

Another vote for auber gauges. I’ve been running mine for a few years. Boost/egt. I just added voltage and coolant temp.

Great price, they work good and you can use them for a ton of different applications. You can also trigger relays to start extra fans, trigger water/meth injection or even water spray to radiator.

Great pictures!

Another vote for auber gauges. I’ve been running mine for a few years. Boost/egt. I just added voltage and coolant temp.

Great price, they work good and you can use them for a ton of different applications. You can also trigger relays to start extra fans, trigger water/meth injection or even water spray to radiator.
Thanks for the suggestion @FJBen. I would love to see you configuration if you have a pic handy.

If/when I have to do it over I'd go Auber. But the TurboSmart gauges the previous owner installed over 7 years ago are still going strong. Moved them to a Saas RHD pod a few ago. Easy to read.

IMG_5465.jpeg

Another satisfied Auber user here. Have installed them in both of the LJ78’s I’ve had. This was my first one:
7X4A1543.jpeg

And my current setup:
IMG_5639.jpeg

Hey fellas. Thank you so much for all of your help. I have found the Auber gauges on Amazon which means I can get it to my brother in law’s front door before he makes the trip over to Nepal. As I posted in the first thread I am extremely ignorant on all of this which again, makes me super thankful for this group. When ordering from Auber it seems that it doesn’t come in a complete kit like most gauges. I see so many different options with the probes, sensors, and mounting adapters. Would one of you pros put together a wish list of what y’all would purchase for your LJ78 if your were doing it again to help a novice LC guy? Again, truly thankful for this forum and group.

You can start with do you want a single gauge or a double gauge?

Then decide what you want to monitor? Boost? Egt? Temp?

Double gauge like mine is: syl-2813
Single gauge - syl-1813

Then you need to choose which color or guage you want.

Here is the main page for the double gauge. It also has all the programming and install tips. It’s pretty easy.
Automobile Multimeter, Dual Channel [SYL-2813] - $74.95 : Auber Instruments, Inc., Temperature control solutions for home and industry - https://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=5_21&products_id=357

So the EGT probe you want is:
EGT Probe, Sealed Tip [TC-KEGTS] - $39.00 : Auber Instruments, Inc., Temperature control solutions for home and industry - https://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=5_22&products_id=182

The options are just how you want to mount the the gauge.

For boost, this is the pressure sensor you need
3 Bar, 48 PSI, Boost Sensor for Diesel Engine [AUBER-303] - $39.99 : Auber Instruments, Inc., Temperature control solutions for home and industry - https://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=5_23&products_id=201

If you want coolant temp or cylinder head temp, choose from here.
Other Temp Sensors : Auber Instruments, Inc., Temperature control solutions for home and industry - https://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=5_24

@FJBen this is so incredibly helpful. Thank you!!

@FJBen is there a preference for the mounting adapter for the LJ78?

IMG_2184.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom