EGR Pipe Insulation (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Has anyone tried to put insulation around the EGR pipe? I have the plenum off to fix the VSV and am working on making sure the harness is tied out of the way of the EGR pipe to avoid that issue. Looking at the compression fitting on the side of the tube that goes to the EGR valve it looks like I could cut off the compression ferrule and slide the nut off to be able to put some fiberglass wrap/tube over the length of the pipe to the head. Toyota even appears to sell replacement ferrules under the 90410-18002 part number. Has anyone done this? It seems like wrapping the pipe, some reflective wrap on the harness, and tying harness up against the head would really cool things down there. However, cutting off and re-installing the ferrule is a fair bit more work vs just reflective wrap and tying the harness up.

1692078206374.png

I had some extra material from wrapping headers/ exhaust from a different project and figured I'd through some on. Also wrapped the harness in heat reflective tape and an aluminum shield. Time will tell how it goes.

20230723_152234.jpg

I put a split heat sleeve (aluminized fiberglass with velcro) over the EGR pipe up to and over the large nut, I slid it down from above when I had the EGR valve off but could have done it with the EGR valve in place.

You mentioned that you were looking for ways to tie the harness off to the head. I have been told that there are supposed to be clips for the harness that uses the holes in the valve cover. Not sure how true it is but I thought that it would be a great idea to do that, my solution would be to use something like the picture below.

1692104604369.png

I went a different route when dealing with this problem. I took a flat piece of aluminum sheet metal, cut it to size, and using a bench vice as a sheet metal break i bent it into the appropriate shape to fit between the EGR tube, and the harness. The finished heat shield kind of resembles the shape of the letter Z.

Next i cut some high temp silicone rubber the same length and width as the aluminum heat shield. I formed and attached the silicone rubber to the heat shield with pop rivets. Last, i drilled a hole through the heat shield so it could be held in place by a piece of all thread.

The silicone rubber faces the harness and acts as a high temp insulator, the Aluminum acts as a heat reflector, reflecting the heat away from the harness.

On the intake manifold on my 94, close to the EGR tube is an unused threaded hole. I decided to use that hole as the anchor point to mount my heat shield to.

For the anchor i used a short piece of metric all thread that i screwed into the intake manifold, it's locked in place on the manifold with a jam nut. On the other end of the all thread is where the heat shield is mounted. The heat shield is held in place by being sandwiching between a welded in place nut, and a jam nut.
1692108536681.png

1692108590219.png

1692108642108.png

1692108675832.png

Thanks for the feedback,
I ended up putting some header wrap on the egr pipe and securing it with SS zip ties. I put some fire sleeve on the harness and tied it away from the tube with another SS zip tie so as to not rely on a plastic clip to hold it away.

IMG_7743.jpeg
IMG_7741.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom