EFI help please. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I read here often, but rarely comment.

I'm in need of help identifying the EFI relay in my '97 LX 450. She cranks, but won't get running. I replaced the fuel filter because I had one, even though I didn't really think that it was the culprit (this is a miserable experience if you haven't done it before:bang:). My next point of attack was the fuel pump (I am so grateful they created that "trap door" under the seats:clap:). I've pulled it apart and just tested the pump, runs like a champ. Deductive reasoning points me to the EFI relay next.

I've messed around with the relay in the fuse box by the battery on the drivers side. I'm not sure if this is the one I should be looking for. When I unplug it, the CEL comes on, when I bridge it, the CEL turns off, but still no power to the fuel pump that I can tell. I can hear a "click" from the driver's position sidewall.

The manual I'm working out of (didn't notice this unitl today, which is a good thing because this is my first major problem in over a year of ownership) only covers through '96. It doesn't really explain all that well what I'm looking for and I'm not even sure it isn't different for '97.

I've seen some great posts, but I need a picture. So please, if you have a picture of the EFI relay or know of a link, please share it with me.

Also, any other thoughts on what it could be if it isn't the EFI relay?

Thank all.

I should mention that this is the 1FZ-FE motor.

Last edited:
The EFI main relay is in the fusebox under the hood behind the battery.

However, if you have a "crank no start" situation, there are many many many threads here that will point you in the correct direction. I think there is a good one for your motor in the FAQ on the top of the forum page.

With the key in the ON position, is the CEL (check engine light) on?
I ask because you mentioned that when you removed the EFI relay the CEL came on.

There is no CEL on with the key in the ignition. Only when I remove, what I assume is the EFI relay, does the CEL come on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom