Eco-friendly solution to rodents chewing vehicle wiring (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Heritage 2020

SILVER Star
Threads
Adopt a couple of tabbies that have free roam “cat door” access from home/garage/driveway.

Rodents detect the cats’ scent/territory markings—and go elsewhere to feast on your neighbors’ tasty wiring instead.

Plus cats are very cool family members.

IMG_2168.jpeg

My cruiser recently had to get relegated to parking out back after the wife's new ride showed up and took its garage spot. Our chicken coop definitely attracts the mice and rats back there which has me worried. I've seriously debated picking up a working cat or two. There's a shelter here that take in feral cats and quasi train them then adopt them out.

However I've got 4 dogs and a dozen chickens so I think either the dogs would make the cats take up residence elsewhere or perhaps the cats would feast on the chickens instead of the rats.

Think I'm gonna try the peppermint oil repellent before going the cat route.

Ya Heritage.

My daughter has two dogs, three horses in the barn and the big garage with her Tundra and a couple other vehicles. Mice were rampant until she got her barn cat. “Pineapple” is happy and almost domestic. Sleeps in the walk out part of the basement in the cold weather.

WIN WIN !

In the high desert, kitties are unfortunately just coyote food. Our neighbors 4runner was ravaged to the tune of $2k by rodents. Since then, keeping a shop light on under the rig seems to work. Travel trailers use tiny led string lights, making a perimeter around the frame and users swear by them.

For rodents I use Irish Spring soap. Several bars around the vehicle & change them out every couple of months.
My 60 is parked outside 24/7 - 365. No rodents.

Me too…but it keeps the rodents at bay.👍

Given the number of small birds they decimate I’m not sure it qualifies as eco-friendly.

Given the number of small birds they decimate I’m not sure it qualifies as eco-friendly.
Pets are awesome, but not eco friendly.

Max and Milo decimate more small lizards, mice, and the occasional mole/vole than anything else (based on the gifts they bring us).

They’ve terminated quite a few birds as well, alas that is just part and parcel of the food chain.

My Land Cruiser isn’t eco friendly either, but the wiring is tip top.

My cruiser recently had to get relegated to parking out back after the wife's new ride showed up and took its garage spot. Our chicken coop definitely attracts the mice and rats back there which has me worried. I've seriously debated picking up a working cat or two. There's a shelter here that take in feral cats and quasi train them then adopt them out.

However I've got 4 dogs and a dozen chickens so I think either the dogs would make the cats take up residence elsewhere or perhaps the cats would feast on the chickens instead of the rats.

Our dog ignores the cats and vice versa. My brothers labs let the cats walk all over them. I believe it depends on the socialization of the cat.

Cats won’t mess with adult chickens in general because of size (cats are risk averse), but chicks/pullets would be in danger.

Our dog ignores the cats and vice versa. My brothers labs let the cats walk all over them. I believe it depends on the socialization of the cat.

Cats won’t mess with adult chickens in general because of size (cats are risk averse), but chicks/pullets would be in danger.
My avatar can pick indoors or garage at night. Rotents have no way into the garage unless I screw up. The cat gets all the cat food they can eat; my avatar garage cat huts for sport and lays her kills out on the driveway. Zero signs of rodent damage under my LC or wife's LX.

Even though we get bobcats around here, I’ve never been able to get control of the rat infestation until I used these. Hands down the most effective way to eliminate the problem...there’s honestly dead rats all around the yard daily as soon as I refill the bait stations. And for those of us with animals, there’s no risk of secondary poisoning…though my dumb chickens are more likely to eat a dead rat than either of my dogs :rolleyes:

Amazon product ASIN B005WKE2HAhttps://www.amazon.com/Farnam-Just-Bite-Chunks-chuncks/dp/B005WKE2HA

I read an article the other day it’s like in the tens of billions/year.

Not that I care but that was quite staggering.

I read an article the other day it’s like in the tens of billions/year.

Not that I care but that was quite staggering.
There is a never ending debate between bird enthusiasts and cat enthusiasts.

The bird fans call cats an “invasive species”, while I don’t buy it—as cats cannot fly to capture birds.

What’s interesting is there is no objective way to determine that “tens of billions” are solely due to cats.

NOTE: I doubt enough birds are banded/tagged, or that someone is going around counting all the decapitated/eviscerated bird carcasses.

In humor, I’m imagining a forensic crime scene (using a Morgan Freeman voice):

“Based on the blood and feather splatter and bite patterns on the decedent, the beautiful blue Jay was attacked at approximately 1030hrs as he walked from the bird feeder by a domestic American shorthair cat.

I’d like to say that the bird put up a good fight, but alas it was not meant to be.

There were valiant signs of struggle and the blue jay’s head was found at the doorstep of a local Land Cruiser owner.

The owner confirmed that his cats were loyal friends dedicated to protect his property from mice, and the bird was merely collateral damage.” 😸😹🐈

The End.

Last edited:
Even though we get bobcats around here, I’ve never been able to get control of the rat infestation until I used these. Hands down the most effective way to eliminate the problem...there’s honestly dead rats all around the yard daily as soon as I refill the bait stations. And for those of us with animals, there’s no risk of secondary poisoning…though my dumb chickens are more likely to eat a dead rat than either of my dogs :rolleyes:

Amazon product ASIN B005WKE2HAAmazon product ASIN B005WKE2HA
Bobcats are completely useless against mice and squirrels for the most part as they scent mark away from our homes. Their scent markings don’t border our homes—thus the mice/rats have no fear.

Felis Catus (the common house cat) is a walking weapons platform tailored for human companionship—and the protection of his territory (our homes).

Birds and lizards may die as part of collateral damage, but the terrorist mice/rats will seek safe haven under the hood of your neighbor’s Land Cruiser instead.

NOTE1: I like Irish Spring soap for bathing, and peppermint oil isn’t going to deter a nesting rodent. Poison creates other significant worries if other animals eat the dead rodent—and traps, meh. Cats are eco-friendly and are every bit as kind/friendly/caring as our dog. Win-Win!

Disclaimer: One of our family friends is a veterinarian and she educates me on such things as I don’t have professional expertise here. 🐈

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom