early hub depository (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

some cutlas stuff different from what you got

Cutlas%20Hubs%201.jpg
Cutlas%20Hubs%202.jpg

Attachments

• US3017207 cutlas.pdf
    340.8 KB · Views: 144
  • US3184258 cutlas.pdf
    267.3 KB · Views: 146
Wynn's International, Inc. manufactures a variety of different things they bought Dualmatic in the 1970's and then acquired Bestop Manufacturing and merged it with Dualmatic, forming Wynn's Automotive Products, Inc. in 1982. In 1984 the company purchased Starlite Industries, Inc., a manufacturer of automotive seat covers, seat cushions, floor mats, car covers, and other automotive accessories with facilities in Los Angeles and in Fremont, Ohio. Wynn's eventually consolidated the sales, manufacturing, warehousing, and financial administration of the company into its Automotive Products.

1986, Wynn's Automotive Products was sold for $1.7 million. I assume with Dualmatic and Bestop as a part of that deal.

from a previous thread

but we can also point out that other hub styles were whored out too...here's the warn hub being rebranded.....

Hi there @nuclearlemon

What an amazing thread!. (So superbly backed up with sharp photos and manufacturer documentation!):clap:

But where did you get this information that the AVM hubs were re-branded Warn products? From what I can recall from taking my AVMs apart, the hidden internal selector mechanism is quite different from what's shown here for the Warn product (and the AVM factory in Brazil was founded back in 1957)... Ooops. Never mind ..... I've just answered my own question by looking at my own AVM photos..

Here are my photos of my AVM hubs that were on my 1979 BJ40 when I bought it in Perth, Western Australia in 1981:
FreewheelingAVMwarn2.jpg
FreewheelingAVM.jpg
FreewheelingAVMwarn1.jpg

I now see the " L/C WARN USA" on the dials... so you're obviously 100% correct. (They were designed by WARN even though they were made by AVM in Brazil..)

Thanks again for an amazing thread... I wonder if @Grant Woodbridge has seen it because he was asking me about the colour schemes used in the early 1970s/1980s AVM hubs. (Pics of early AVM hubs are so hard to find that I'm thinking he might like to see your pic in post #15 too.)

:beer:

PS. I've now replaced the above AVMs with ASIAN hubs. And comparing the internals, the ASIANS are definitely stronger in my opinion. But not only that, the design of the selector mechanism is so much better eliminating the "trial-and-error assembly" of the AVMs whereby I had to fiddle around to get each hub to just manage to fully disengage when the hand dial reached the 4x2 position (so they just stopped producing the clicking sound that signified "partial engagement" as as I twiddled the driveshaft and simultaneously moved the dial).

(It is so easy with the AVM hubs for someone who doesn't know what they're doing during assembly to leave at least one hub in a state where it doesn't fully disengage in the 4x2 position.)

i have begun one of many winter project, including cleaning up a set of warn lock o matics that a friends husband took off his 1965 fj40 many decades ago. i believe they are model m84b, but not 100% positive.
sample pic, since i didnt' bother to take a pic of them "assembled"
s-l1600.jpg

and what i've got. i figured i'd be missing some of the bearings, so that will be pretty much my only plan outside of selling them
DSC00444.JPG
DSC00445.JPG
DSC00446.JPG
DSC00447.JPG

i found some notation somewhere that these were fo 3/4 and one tonne applications and that they weighed 8lbs each. i don't doubt that weight at all..these things are freakin' heavy!!!

we'll move on to the one i probably should've started with, cutlas power-lock hubs. not common on cruisers, but common on jeeps and possibly a predecessor or inspiration for the dualmatic, which is common on cruisers. this was a spinning barrel style locking hub that required a tool, or when lost, "a screwdriver or coin". cutlas also made a less common knob style hub. i had a picture somewhere, but i can't find it.

i've heard that cutlas hubs were made in also made in longmont and lakewood colorado and the cutlas gear company out of vinton, ia, but all definitive info i can find is it was the cutlas tool and manufacturing company out of lyons, illinois.

View attachment 999519 View attachment 999520 View attachment 999521View attachment 999522

I have that Cutlas Selective Drive Hub. Mine is easily turned by hand and works great. These are what was on my 73 Jeep J10.
ipbccutlass2-jpg.999522

IMG_20160615_203003573.jpg

IMG_20160617_105136440.jpg

IMG_20160617_105142865.jpg

IMG_20160617_105151610.jpg

yes, there were different models throughout the years. i think the tapered hubs are rare in the course spline as i've only seen tapered course once in person, on treeroots 25. they were however common on the 76 and up rigs with fine spline birfs, but becuase they stick out so far, they catch rocks and break :(

the finned ones are the m47d models. i didn't include these originally, since i've seen them mostly on the 70 and up rigs.
47D.jpg

while the ones i posted earlier are the m84b models
M84B.jpg

nice...maybe we just broke them all and went with barrel hubs or aisans ;)
i can remember my buddy jason smacking his left one on a root and breaking it at the beginning of a tank trap, then braking the right hand one when he got to close to a tree going up a hill on the other side of the tank trap on his second trip wheeling his 40. aaaaahhh, those were the days.
my 70 40 , 69 and 74 pigs, 73 and 74 40s all had the barrel hubs

i wonder if it was the market. three of those rigs were illinois. the other two, colorado. i'm guessing all your tapers are cali rigs.

going back and looking at the pics, most of the colorado rigs i've parted have had selectros. only the two mentioned above had warns. it's been to long to accurately remember, but i don't recall having noticed any selectro hubs when i was in illinois. i can only remember everyone running warns with a couple running aisans. i'm pretty sure one illinois guy had avms.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom