Early Hard Top Cap Compatibility (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

ClemsonCruiser

Supporting Vendor
Threads
Hope some of the early Cruiser Gurus can help me out. Couple years back I bought a early 1965 (10/64) with the corrugated style top. It was missing the fiberglass cap when I acquired it and I would like to replace that. My question is will a cap from '66 and up fit my early style hardtop sides? I know the 61-63 cap is unique but I'm not certain on the '64- early '65. If anyone knows please post up, and also if anyone has a cap that will work for me please PM me :D

Thanks
JP

1965 FJ40 002.jpg
1965 FJ40 005.jpg

Sides and back are still vertical so later style would be short both ways since they are angled on the none corrugated tops.

The FJ25 and first couple of years of the FJ40 the hard top had high B pillars didn't realize the cap was different other than the later ones didn't have the vent.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info! I knew you'd be the one to know. I thought the early caps with vent where different in the cap dimensions some how, but I defer to you as it's been a while since I've had one around to look at.

Maybe someone else knows different but I thought the 64-65 just didn't get the vent on the cap, the sides didn't have the cut out for the B pillar and the hatch had exterior handles to push the posts in. I not sure but believe the vent in the cap was a option. Picked up a early top with the B pillar cut that didn't have the vent. Just missed out on the side doors that had the slider not window crank. Didn't realize the kid had them in the garage. This was back the mid nineties. Even then it was a feeding frenzy when a ad showed up in the paper.

That is all correct to my knowledge. For some reason I thought I read once the actual fiberglass cap itself was slightly taller on the vented ones.

All correct, the only year I have ever seen the vent is 63. The caps are a little taller. Not easy to find or ship!

That is all correct to my knowledge. For some reason I thought I read once the actual fiberglass cap itself was slightly taller on the vented ones.

I have the early one with no vent stored away in a garage, it's taller than the 72 and 75 caps I have stored in the same area. While I've measured it looks as tall as my other early tops with the vents.

I think he sold it.

Eventually I plan a thread on how to preserve the '63 & '64 vent hole ( not glass it over), and keep your headliner dry when your vent has rusted and there aren't any available. It involves a marine window placeholder.

For your search image, study the lines of how significantly more steeply the rear end of the roof falls in the 63-65, vs later caps.
20180524_072810.jpg

Hey guys, I am in the process of painting my '65 build and found these screws on the side panel, was wondering if they should be there and/or if they serve a purpose. They are on both side panels.
Sorry to bump into this thread like this.
Best,
Jeronimo

WhatsApp Image 2020-05-21 at 16.34.19.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom