Early Box Heaters (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

JohnnyC

Long ago TLCA# 2231
Threads
I have been looking into the early box heaters that have been used as a dealer option on some early cruisers.

From what I have found they were manufactured by Hupp Power Corp. in Detroit MI. The Hupp Power Corp. supplied the military with many type of heaters and made a wide veriety of electrical equiptment.

The Hupp Corp. were SEARS private labeled heaters in the 60's...this would make it very easy for any dealer to purchase and install.

HUPP went bankrupt in 1991. Maradyne bought the rights and now makes this type heater with slight modifications.

Maradyne Mobile Products: Maradyne Mobile Products
The current model of the box heater is the Maradyne 5000 that produces approx 17,500 BTUs. whereas the Model 8000 that is a slightly bigger heater puts out 20,000 BTUs.

I am still trying to find information on these early Hupp's as well as the Sears Hupp heaters...If you have any information, literature, photos etc. please post up :)

BTW Hupp Heaters have no relation to Hupp Automobiles
aswell as no relation to Hupp Toyota Forklift (however kinda cool ): A Brief History of Hupp Electric Motors & Hupp ToyotaLift, established in 1912 by William Hupp or Hupp Electric Motors: Hupp Electric Motors Services

Maradyne Model #5000: Model 5000 Heater

pic #1 Early Hupp Power "Huppower" Model #355
pic #2 Our Early Dealer intalled heaters
pic #3 Current Maradyne Model #5000

00110.jpg
5267064565_ba57c0caa3.jpg
h_5000.jpg

Last edited:
AWESOME man!

oooh, question, looks like the defrost vents are the same size...

Tell me they make the hoses :D

I will post interior heater photos when i pull mine apart to fix the fan blade :)

What are you looking for here Johnny? I have one Nippon-Denso heater in a FJ25. My 62 soft top tub and 65 FJ45LP-B have the same heater as destin. Another FJ25 with a different heater. 61 FJ40 with yet another heater. My other 61 had a different round shape that I believe I thru out. Might have a picture of it. The others I have the heater were MIA when I bought the rigs. Hose in the firewall so I knew that had one at one time. I don't believe I have a earlier cruiser that either had a aftermarket heater or signs it had one at one time.

looking for information about early aftermarket cruiser heaters...i know that Eureka made a round style as well as Smiths...

post up any aftermarket early heaters...love to see them :)

i found it cool that the early box heaters you can get parts for from Maradyne...i guess the gunts are primarilly the same...trying to get more info from them

if somebody doesn't have a heater...the new ones are available :) as an option

The thing I don't like about the aftermarket heater is the lack of a outside air option. I remember some elk hunts outside air was needed to get the windshield to defog. Since 93 when I bought my FJ62 I let the A/c compressor help with that.:rolleyes:

This is what was in my 1965 40, it has an outside air option but no place in the firewall to get the air from. What is this heater from?
HPIM1381.jpg

Here's the one out of my 62 FJ40
100_9540.JPG
100_9541.JPG
100_9542.JPG

my 65 heater

This was in my 65. It ran good before the tear down.

I need a couple of the snap clips that hold the two shells together. I doubt I'll find them but I will check out the site you posted a link to.

Thanks for the info!

302.jpg

300.jpg

299.jpg
302.jpg
300.jpg
299.jpg

Sears

rod i cant make out whats on the tag...can you type it out for me :)

thats a sears correct?

Sure, top 2 lines above the model number.
in all correspondence regarding this article always mention

Then: model number 891.7715

Next 2 lines: Order replacement parts by mail or through any of our retail stores.

Then the last 2 lines.

Sears. Roebuck and Co - U.S.A.
Simpson Sears limited. Canada

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom