Early ‘90s Toyota 4x4 Diesel Vans. Limits and capabilities (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Are the models similar enough that you could put the transmission and transfer case from an older one into a newer one with the bigger engine?

That is on my list of questions to ask the importer. The obvious problem is finding the surplus transmission and transfer case. These vans aren’t to be found at pick and pull. I’m afraid that the Japanese just sell the old vans at auction and export them no matter the condition. There aren’t enough in this country to have a source for used parts. The newer ones have only been coming in to the country for a year now. The older ones I’ve been looking at only for about 4 years.

So, how soon are you going to get on this? :beer:

Edit: Opps, sorry @alia176. Didn't mean to step on your toes. I know how much you love finding ways to spend other peoples money. I'll stay in my lane. :flipoff2:

First I have to see if and how much money materializes in the next few months. I want the importer to scour the Japanese countryside to find just the right van for me. But first I need to figure out what I want.

They made some interesting camper vans in Japan. I could camp with something like this. 1994 Toyota HiAce hi top 4wd Camper van. I would worry that it would be too top heavy and tippy. 2.5” lift and BFG all terrain tires. Don’t know which engine or if low range on this one.
4CD1C14E-0C6D-4043-BBE6-6B8A6BA62C9D.jpeg
CA6F47EA-8991-4BC8-BF8F-A7FD0E12CD4A.jpeg
5D2960D6-4ED0-4B24-8345-9BAF0183B7A4.jpeg
5FC45DD3-7FB7-4F76-8F76-1A71152F6ED6.jpeg

Last edited:
Another example of a 4wd Toyota campervan. I like it but I guarantee that I’m too big to fit!
7FC70670-4CDC-4599-80E1-70B5B67B7CD5.jpeg
F7C45788-7FBD-4C6B-AE4B-91FAD74C3FE8.jpeg
C9FC31DB-908B-484C-867F-61355DCAE2F2.jpeg

I'd like to address the elephant in the room, if I may.

All of these fine examples are pointing to the fact that they aren't meant to Overland in the fashion that we are used to in this country. Myriad of factors such as low clearance, slow top hwy speeds, small tire sizes, etc are pointing to that sad statement. Rather than modifying the platform to suit the application, which usually translates to mucho $$$$ and time, why not look at more appropriate van platforms that CAN do the task on hand? In my travels, I've seen VW Synchros 4x4 as well as Mitsubishi D...... (can't recall the model now) vans going off the beaten path but they too probably have similar limitations.

Overlanding does require, on occasion, to traverse harsh territories/obstacles where all kinds of four wheeling, rock crawling, and recovery work are needed. So this means that your sliders, bumpers, winches and belly pans are going to be used. This is the harsh reality of what we do and for some of us, we call this fun :).

While a Sprinter 4x4 van is too large, per Stephen, is there a smaller size van that can do the job? I know that the Chevy Astro vans are using Chevy S10 Transfer cases to switch the van from an AWD to a true 4WD van that is quite popular on expo portal. Conversions like Quiegly and Sportsmobile seem to be popular as well.

Some more info on vanlife on Expo 4wd (and 2WD) Camper Vans (a.k.a. #vanlife)

just playing devil's advocate here. ;)

While a Sprinter 4x4 van is too large, per Stephen, is there a smaller size van that can do the job? I know that the Chevy Astro vans are using Chevy S10 Transfer cases to switch the van from an AWD to a true 4WD van that is quite popular on expo portal. Conversions like Quiegly and Sportsmobile seem to be popular as well.

I'm not going to lie. The Sportsmobile conversions got my attention long time ago. For what I do they would be almost perfect. They are a bit tall and wide, but I would just learn to live with it. What I like about the small SUV setup is getting it to fit just about anywhere I want. But, van-life is attractive too. Thank goodness these vans are well outside my budget. That said, I have not ruled one out in the future.

I also agree that the Sprinters have too many limitations. Not just size in all three dimensions. They are also too trendy for me. If you stay on pavement, or forest roads, they offer an attractive option. But if you want to get away from the hordes, you need to off-road.

All of these fine examples are pointing to the fact that they aren't meant to Overland in the fashion that we are used to in this country. Myriad of factors such as low clearance, slow top hwy speeds, small tire sizes, etc are pointing to that sad statement. Rather than modifying the platform to suit the application, which usually translates to mucho $$$$ and time, why not look at more appropriate van platforms that CAN do the task on hand? In my travels, I've seen VW Synchros 4x4 as well as Mitsubishi D...... (can't recall the model now) vans going off the beaten path but they too probably have similar limitations.

Overlanding does require, on occasion, to traverse harsh territories/obstacles where all kinds of four wheeling, rock crawling, and recovery work are needed. So this means that your sliders, bumpers, winches and belly pans are going to be used. This is the harsh reality of what we do and for some of us, we call this fun :).

just playing devil's advocate here. ;)

I guess my interest is more in finding out what the particular platform of the early 90’s Japanese Toyota vans can do and how far they can go, than in a platform for Overlanding. If my main interest was overlanding then I would have gone with the Mitsubishi Delica L300 which pretty much comes out of the box ready to go. I’ve been the VW route (3 of them, but not a syncro, too damned expensive) and have found them to be notoriously undependable mechanically. I’m enamored of the Toyota van platform and would much rather spend time and money on seeing what I can do with one (or two) than have an overlanding vehicle per se. That being said, something similar to this is what I want to work with.
6CFC0C0F-299A-4A35-B9C4-9A941547DF47.jpeg
CA52AA04-B7DA-4509-BCDD-639F1D6965A3.jpeg

Last edited:
Let's see where this goes...I'd like to see a Toyota Sandcrawler the Jawas would be proud of!
Just need to figure out how to put the front bumper on top?

1591237178116.png

+

1591237147814.png

=

1591237477844.png

1591236896717.png

The van on the right is the same size as mine. The van on the left is like the van I want to get.
93FCFF68-39A8-4358-91EF-C239D092E254.jpeg

The van on the right is the same size as mine. The van on the left is like the van I want to get.View attachment 2329654
That's a significant size difference. I just saw one of the Toyota vans from the late 80's for sale on Wyoming for $800. I'm assuming the one on the right is kind of the same class as those US market Toyota vans that preceded the Previa.

That's a significant size difference. I just saw one of the Toyota vans from the late 80's for sale on Wyoming for $800. I'm assuming the one on the right is kind of the same class as those US market Toyota vans that preceded the Previa.

Yes, same frame and general set up. The one on the left is on a light truck chassis.

Last edited:
Can you give us a link to a van similar to the left van?

vanlifenorthwest.com And look at sold. That’s where I bought my van and will most likely buy another one if I have the opportunity. My van is in the gallery. But any Hiace Super Custom or Super Custom Limited is under consideration as examples of what I would like.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom