Dynamat on the roof worth it? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

WRO

Threads
I have to pull the headliner to fix my sunroof and was wondering if it'd be worth it to install dynamat while it's out to cut down on noise from the roof rack and light bar?

Fwiw I did a full dynamat under the headliner of a 2003 BMW 3 series. Dynamat is just always value added. Made it feel quiet like I think an 80s cadillac should be. Just installed Dynamat on my 100 under new carpet. It's really hard to quantify, made it feel new, quiet, right. Always worth it imo.

Yes. It's a big mostly flat piece of sheet metal, so vibration dampeners help it a lot, Dynamat or another brand. You can also fit A LOT of open cell foam above the headliner. It actively absorbs sound waves, compared to the Dynamat that only prevent the sheet metal from resonating.

I had Dynnomat installed on a different truck ceiling. It had thin metal and was known for a whistling rear valance. The Dynnomat made a nice difference. If I had my headliner down, I would look into doing it. Also as @Moridinbg pointed out, some foam above the headliner will help.

Earlier this week, I started experimenting with a way to find sheet metal body that transmit the most vibrations and noise. I found the front fenders, just due to metal thickness, are an area that will transmit quite a bit of vibration. I need to figure out a way to put some Dynomat behind the front fender metal.

Last edited:
What is the truck used for? If a mall queen...go for it.

If a rock crawler...may want to calculate weight gain up that high. This stuff can get heavy quickly (ceiling = large area).

If overist rig (over lander), weight is also a factor as that hobby is weight intensive. Toss up here.

What is the truck used for? If a mall queen...go for it.

If a rock crawler...may want to calculate weight gain up that high. This stuff can get heavy quickly (ceiling = large area).

If overist rig (over lander), weight is also a factor as that hobby is weight intensive. Toss up here.
We're only talking about maybe 60lbs..

How much of a difference do you think it'll make?

I'm willing to give up a little bit to make up for comfort..

We're only talking about maybe 60lbs..

How much of a difference do you think it'll make?

I'm willing to give up a little bit to make up for comfort..
Aftermarket roof racks are around that weight so if you looking to get one of those in the future, maybe skip this roof dynamat. Not sure which 100 model you have since you don't have your model info in your signature, but if you have one with AHC, you might want to be more mindful of the weight you add.

I used dynmat extreme on my 2001 LX. Basically everything other than the roof.

After that, felt pads under some plastic parts in the dash, greasing the rubber seals in all the door openings & dry lubing the windows, it is as quiet as any new vehicle!
And I have a SQ sound system capable of 3,600 watts.

At the point when I decide to take on a sound deadening project, I'll most likely look into some lightweight aircraft-grade insulation.

Aftermarket roof racks are around that weight so if you looking to get one of those in the future, maybe skip this roof dynamat. Not sure which 100 model you have since you don't have your model info in your signature, but if you have one with AHC, you might want to be more mindful of the weight you add.

I'm going to do a build thread at some point, I have a 2000 land cruiser with a loud aftermarket roof rack that I'm unsure of manufacturer on.

I also have a 2008 lx570, both purchased in the last month.

20210529_194130.jpg

20210529_173241.jpg

Weight: ur talking to a boy who almost rolled the rig...all due to added lift hight combine w gear for 10 day alpine loop trip (all inside rig...no roof rack).

So if other than malling it, every # makes a difference, especially @ roof hight.

Did I say this event almost caused trip to divorce court:)

Weight: ur talking to a boy who almost rolled the rig...all due to added lift hight combine w gear for 10 day alpine loop trip (all inside rig...no roof rack).

So if other than malling it, every # makes a difference, especially @ roof hight.

Did I say this event almost caused trip to divorce court:)
I don't do much crawling, It's a hunting and fishing rig..

Most of the time I'm camping set and then hauling out weight and heavy work is relegated to highway and gravel.

But it's good to know..

That’s in my 80 and it’s bank vault quiet. I did go a bit over board as I did the inside of the outer panels and the inside panel of the doors and the used a liquid sound deadener
on top… having a black truck I was also concerned about heat so I also painted the roof white and have a early model rhino rack which was a natural aluminum color.. so great at reflecting the sun. So it’s quiet and cool.
I don’t remember how many SF I used.. I also used Dynaliner over the Dynamat and used Rattle Trap Extreme when a ran out of Dynamat

9ED330DB-4A61-4FE2-BC48-255BD6FA1B99.jpeg

04E1FB32-7A0F-40A2-ABB9-AAB0EFCA3602.jpeg

5F463F38-787D-4BF6-AF2F-40D22FD235CB.jpeg

6905D617-BF2A-4A58-AD74-618B55168534.jpeg

04F10E6B-1F45-4BC1-A932-C90D74FE328A.jpeg

wow, that's some damping!

Request: who ever entertains this, please run a sound level check before & after @highway speeds. U can use your cell w the appropriate app. Inquiring minds want to know.

I do agree noise can be annoying. I have the "non-Toyota windshield" wind noise that does bug the hell out of me.

Currently planning my stereo build and dampening/deadening materials. Truck is at the paint shop so I can't really measure it right now.

I can figure out how much material (coverage wise) I need easy enough, but does anyone know how much clearance there is between the headliner and the roof sheet metal?

I've used layered jute in the past on other trucks but would prefer a single layer of foam in the appropriate thickness for this build. In my 2005 v8 4Runner I did the entire truck w/ fatmat and peel and seal, eva mastic and jute. Used the cheapest materials I could find but doing the install still took average decibel (db) readings from 90 db to 85 db at highway speeds. May not seem like much but netting -5db....It made an impressive difference. Obviously the Cruiser is already much quieter from factory.

Really appreciate any help on the roof clearance measurement.

Find some youtube videos of people who have put this to the test with decibel readers. You might be surprised at their results.

I can figure out how much material (coverage wise) I need easy enough, but does anyone know how much clearance there is between the headliner and the roof sheet metal?

I went with 10mm open cell foam and was able to squeeze in 2 layers in some places. There is 1.8mm butyl on the sheet metal. Go light with the butyl, to avoid it falling down due to gravity.

IMG_9319.jpeg

Also, don't bother covering the entire floor. I did 3 layers - butyl, closed cell foam (in case I flood it again) and then acoustic membrane and the returns are very diminishing. Otherwise I was able to fit ~10mm on the floor (2.3mm + 6mm + 2mm) and fit the carpet and the plastic panels back. Only the wheel arches were challenging due to the additional thickness. But then again, don't do it 😅

IMG_9432.jpeg

I went with 10mm open cell foam and was able to squeeze in 2 layers in some places. There is 1.8mm butyl on the sheet metal. Go light with the butyl, to avoid it falling down due to gravity.

Also, don't bother covering the entire floor. I did 3 layers - butyl, closed cell foam (in case I flood it again) and then acoustic membrane and the returns are very diminishing. Otherwise I was able to fit ~10mm on the floor (2.3mm + 6mm + 2mm) and fit the carpet and the plastic panels back. Only the wheel arches were challenging due to the additional thickness. But then again, don't do it 😅
Really appreciate the information! Thank you.

Nice installation as well. That's a lot of back breaking work to do an install like that, can certainly appreciate the hard work it takes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom