DynaBeads...BS or legit? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Here's a little writeup I did a few years ago. I've had no compliants using AirSoft pellets. :cheers:

I've heard about using AirSoft BB's to balance tires, similar to DynaBeads. Using this chart (http://innovativebalancing.com/BigTirechart.htm), and a little research at Wal-Mart, I've decided how much to buy, etc.

The chart states that I need 8 oz for a 33x13.50x15 6 ply tire (what I have). Most AirSoft BB's are of the 6mm variety, an weight around .12 grams (around .0042 oz).

So I know that 1 oz = 28.35 grams (thanks Google), and 4 tires times 8 oz = 32 oz needed.

28.35 grams times 32 oz = 907.2 grams of BB's are needed. How many BB's is that?

907.2 grams divided by .12 grams = 7560 BB's. Great, now how many BB's per tire?

7560 BB's divided by 4 tires = 1890 BB's per tire.

According to my research, using more than the recommended amount per tire doesn't hurt anything. So if I bought 4 - 2000 count packs of BB's, I'd be right on at 8.46 oz each.

As for how to use them, just break a bead and dump them in, or dump them in before mounting the tire. They won't fit through the valve stem like DynaBeads will, so you have to break a bead. Getting them out is pretty easy using a shop vac.

The greatest benefit of using the BB's for balancing is that its dynamic. If I chunk a tire pretty bad, I don't have to rebalance the tire. The BB's will move around and compensate for the imbalance. Another benefit is that I can mount my tires myself, and don't have to pay a tire shop :) .

Hopefully this will help others later down the road.

OR you can put Airsoft BB's which are bigger than the valves, and probably cheaper....

follow the weight recommendation from their website for the airsoft.. or spend more money and get the dynabeads..;)
my only comment on that is that you have to break the bead to get the airsoft pellets in. The dynabeads just require removeing the core and pouring them down the valvestem...really nice if you are doing it after the fact.

my only comment on that is that you have to break the bead to get the airsoft pellets in. The dynabeads just require removeing the core and pouring them down the valvestem...really nice if you are doing it after the fact.

Hi-lift.... under a slider, base of hi-lift at the seem of the tire.. Woila pop the bead..

I did all 4 tires in under an hour.. I did have Co2 so it was easy to re-seat the beads..

Guess it all depends on what you have available to you

And for all that math in the previous post....:lol: I used a scale to measure the amount before dumping them in...

Make sure the inside of the tire is dry or they will clump and stick to the tire and not work. We use a similar product for commercial truck tires and have had that problem. As for running beads and wheel weights, the only way would be to balance the tire with weights and then add the dynabeads. If you try to balance tires with the dynabeads in them you get a different reading on the balancer every time. Dean

Good news. I'm mounting up my new KM2s tomorrow at a friends house for free, and the local shop wants $20 to balance the tires after I mount them. Figure the Airsoft BB's are worth a try for that amount of money.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom