Dual Thermostats? Problems with my hose

Discussion in 'Diesel Tech / 24 volts' started by gifu, Aug 15, 2005.

1. gifu

gifu

Media:
    Albums:
    Having a strange problem that I have not encountered; and this being one of the few cruiser bb with some diesel experts....

I have a 1985 FJ60 with a Cummins 6A3.4t. I am running a stock radiator, cleaned out, new Napa-brand 13 lb cap. The engine has dual thermostats, relatively new.

The problem is the lower radiator hose keeps trying to blow off. No matter how tight I make the clamp. I assumed it was because the lower outlet of the radiator didn't have a "lip" on it. I had a shop put one on, and that solved the problem for a while. Then it did it again. I've never dealt with a dual thermostat system... seems overly complicated to me. Could a bad thermostat cause a hose to blow off?! What about a bad radiator cap? I would think that if the headgasket was blown (unlikely, it has not been overheated; no oil in the water, no water in the oil), it would first blow the cap (13 lbs)... but I'm not getting a large amount of fluid in the overfill. Maybe the new cap (again, Napa brand) is bad?

2. gifu

gifu

Media:
    Albums:
    OK... update. I am begining to suspect that the 15 lb radiator cap is too much. Stock is... 9? Opinions?

3. Landpimp

Landpimp GOLD Star

Media:
    yeah stock is .9 bar, which is I think 13lbs

4. silvercrusher

silvercrusher

Thats right 1 bar=1 atmoshere= 14.7 psi. I doubt an extra pound is what the problem is. You have a stock rad with a whole different system. You need the rad and cap for that motor; they design them that way for just such a reason. That engine likley requires a rad that has more capacity to cool and to take whatever that water pump is throwing at it.

Good luck

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.