Dual Battery input needed (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm getting close to finally installing a dual-battery system in my 100-series and I could use some input. I currently have a group 27 optima yellow-top installed. Because I have (and want to keep) my ARB twin air compressor, which takes up the space where Slee's dual battery tray would go, installing a second battery in my vehicle is a bit more complicated than normal.

I'm considering 2 options. The first is to have a bracket fabricated that will hold both a second battery as well as my air compressor. I think that a group 31 battery will fit horizontally in my application along with the compressor if I relocate my power steering fluid reservoir to in front of the air box.

The second option is to get Torfab's dual battery bracket, which puts 2 group 34's in the stock battery location. This approach does require cutting some of the fuse box bracket out of the way, but nothing major.

The advantage I see of the first approach is having a nice big group 31 battery to run my accessories. The primary accessory that I'll have on the second battery is my ARB 50qt fridge. I may hook up some additional LED lights as well. I'm not going to be running the Odyssey battery so I won't have some of the charging issues that battery has, but I am worried about keeping a battery that large charged enough to prevent sulfation.

The benefits of the second approach as I see it, is that it will be cheaper due to not having to custom fab anything and it will require far less battery cable to hook everything up. I'm not sure if there's any benefit to having both batteries be 34 vs having a group 27F and a group 31. I suspect my charging system will have far less trouble keeping up with two group 34's. However, I'm not sure how long a group 34 can reasonably be expected to run an ARB fridge.

Regardless of the approach, I'll be installing Interstate MT7 AGM batteries. Their group 31 is a 96 AH battery and the group 34 is a 62 AH battery. I might eventually add a solar panel to supplement this setup and provide additional power for other accessories/gadgets when camped for longer periods of time.

I'm hoping to learn from the collective wisdom here. Is one approach preferable to another? I suppose a third option would be to go with the Slee dual battery tray and ditch the dual compressor for a high-output single compressor. I'm leaning towards Torfab's solution right now because I think it would probably be easier to get set up.

Thanks for your input.

Here's some pics of my engine bay as-is:

tLTi9Nll.jpg

1LEVqGHl.jpg

Here's an example from another member here of a battery oriented like I'm picturing. My application would add the compressor mounted to the side of the battery on a bracket facing the firewall. I obviously don't have the AHC reservoir in the way:

Z2jruril.jpg

Here's a picture of Torfab's dual battery layout:

EgFbNy8l.jpg

It does require removing some of the bracket so that the batteries actually fit:
l2zHsVXl.jpg

Why don't you relocate the air-compressor somewhere? I personally prefer it inside the cabin so it won't be exposed to the elements. Putting two batteries together in the space of the OEM will leave things VERY crowded and prone to something going wrong in the long run due to rubbing from vibrations on dirt roads.

I made a custom bracket that fits both my ARB twin and group 65 DHP on the passenger side. It can fit!

Some really bad night time pictures I took. Sorry for the dirty engine bay, just got back from a wheeling trip.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

The ARB fridge I had (with the swing motor) pulled about 1.8 amps/hr average over a 24 hr period.
That's 43 amps that gotta come from somewhere.
75° ambient.
Fridge temp kept at 42°F

No battery can keep up with that for long.

Get a solar panel too.

The ARB fridge I had (with the swing motor) pulled about 1.8 amps/hr average over a 24 hr period.
That's 43 amps that gotta come from somewhere.
75° ambient.
Fridge temp kept at 42°F

No battery can keep up with that for long.

Get a solar panel too.

The newer ARBs pull under an amp while it's running but does swing up a little when the compressor is starting. With my group 65, I have had my ARB running for 2.5 days without starting my engine. YMMV

If the fridge and lights are the primary use for a second battery (no winch), did you consider a third option of installing it in the cargo area? The engine bay gets crowded! You don't need heavy cables to the rear just to keep the battery charged; #8 wire would be fine for that distance. I've not searched to see if others have done that. AGM only, by the way.

That's an excellent idea.
And if an AGM battery is used, it could be placed on its side if necessary to fit in some spot and won't get cooked to death while charging in the engine compartment.

If the fridge and lights are the primary use for a second battery (no winch), did you consider a third option of installing it in the cargo area? The engine bay gets crowded! You don't need heavy cables to the rear just to keep the battery charged; #8 wire would be fine for that distance. I've not searched to see if others have done that. AGM only, by the way.

You could also fit it in the space between your slider legs if you fabbed up some type of mount.

That's a good throught, but I would like to be able to cross-connect the batteries for jumping and winching. One of the other benefits I see to the Torfab solution or the ruffstuff bracket that johnnyquest linked, is that since the runs are short, it's not too expensive to hook everything up with 2/0 or even 4/0 cable.

I've been e-mailing Christo Slee a bit about this for a while and he mentioned yesterday that they're now out of stock on the 100-series dual battery brackets and they're considering a redesign that takes into account the ARB twin compressor (which didn't exist when the current design was created). I may sit on this for a little while and see what Slee comes up with.

@TexasCrane Where did you get those pictures of the dual Torfab install? Is there a write-up somewhere? I can't find anything on them.

@TexasCrane Where did you get those pictures of the dual Torfab install? Is there a write-up somewhere? I can't find anything on them.

Torfab sent me the pics. It's sort of an "off the menu" product. From what I understand, they haven't put it on their website mainly because of the fabrication involved in the install. I think they want anybody that buys it to understand exactly what's going to have to be modified/cut in order to fit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom