Dropping gas tank. Just a bit. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Working through a bunch of issues on my 1985 FJ60- just got the wagon about 2 weeks ago, and while the cosmetics are great, the mechanicals side needs a bit of work. New starter (reman OEM), alternator (NOS 55 amp), starter switch, valve cover gasket, new fluids all around, heavy duty battery cables (thanks @Fourrunner), rejet for altitude (has a 38 Weber). FSM OTW.

At some point in the past, the gas tank has been dropped (maybe for the recall) and when it was installed the harness connection for fuel sender was not run back to the middle of the tank. It's tie dup by the LH rear wheel. It appears I can remove cross brace, support tank with floor jack, and then remove straps in rear an lower tank just enough to snake harness through (tank is empty). Anyone have thought against doing this? Anything that might get in the way hose wise? Looks like all of the hose connect right by filler neck.

tempImage32sAU2.png

The only thing to worry about (on a 62 at least) was to be careful with the fuel hard lines when moving the tank. There is a little play but don't tweak them.

is the spare tire crossmember still there? that will need to be removed, loosen the passenger side strap, remove the driver side strap, it should drop enough to fish the wire into place. you should be able to wiggle it enough without removing any of the hoses

that sounds good, but before you do all that i'd see if you can fish it into place with the tank in place by removing the fuel sending unit access panel from inside the truck. it's in the center floor of the rear storage area. There's maybe 1/2 - 1 inch of clearance b/w the tank and the cruiser body.

that sounds good, but before you do all that i'd see if you can fish it into place with the tank in place by removing the fuel sending unit access panel from inside the truck. it's in the center floor of the rear storage area. There's maybe 1/2 - 1 inch of clearance b/w the tank and the cruiser body.

I tried this- there is cross member about 6" from the access hatch that blocks access, unfortunately.

Operation fish a wire successful- I pulled the cross member below fuel tank (and removed tire carrier mechanism) and supported the rear of the tank with a floor jack. Removed rear strap bolts, making sure to support straps with jack stands - they are what is holding up rear of tank at this point. Lowered floor jack about 3", which gave me plenty of room to fish a wire from inside the cabin to LH wheel well where harness was- pull harness to center of cabin. Made sure to not get in wagon as it would have cause suspension to settle. Botled everything back up- hardest part of the job was getting tank in the right location. Cleaned contacts on sending unit and plug, and reattached.

No love on fuel gauge, though. Any ideas on next steps? Sending unit?

Before and after:

Before and after:

IMG_0648.JPG

IMG_0756.jpeg

remove the sending unit and see if it is all corroded. you can have the key on and look from the rear and move the float manually and see if the guage moves when the float moves.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom