Driveshafts (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Does anyone knows a reliable and reasonable place where to have my driveshaft extended? Thanks

Iron pig has a guy that does them, why do you need to have it extended ? How much lift did you put on that thing ? I think you should be fine with what you have.

Talk to Jimmy at Mountain Run Machine in Culpeper. He's done several for me and my sons.

Is Jimmy back in the shop? It was closed due to illness when I was looking earlier in the year. I ended up using the crackheads in Woodbridge. Not sure what I got but it was the only game in town besides Baltimore.

I thought Ryan told me that Jimmy was back but it's best to call to be sure.

Jimmy always charged me $120 to lengthen and $80 to shorten. He would use thicker tubing if requested and I don't believe there was an extra charge.

Jorge,
If you are sprung under with only 2-4" of lift and stock trans and xfer, you should not need to lengthen your ds at all. Remember, just because your ds is showing some spline, does not mean they will seperate when flexed. Also remember that spring unders (even with extended shackles) do not droop or articulate nearly as much as an SOA (which often requires extended ds's due to as much as 6 inches of lift and sometimes extended wheelbase.

I strongly suggest you get your rig all set up, mount the ds's, mark the spline at static, unmount the ds and extend the ds until it pulls out or you see the angles near the end of the splines. This will give you an idea of your travel. Remember to put put match marks on your ds so if you seperate it, you can put it back together correctly. You will have to do this for each ds before you take them somewhere to be lengthened anyway. I ran a 4" SUA with extended shackles for years and never had an issue. This is one of the conveniences of an SUA lift vs SOA. I just feel you might be spending $$ on something that isn't neccessary.

BTW, you forgot your battery. Doh!

Last edited:
My wheel base was extended due to a shackle reversal done by the PO. Its only the front DS that is showing some spline and it got pulled 2" after the lift was done and I can move it easily up and down towards the engine! It just doesnt look right! The back DS is good. I found a place where they charge 150 for the DS extension! Is this a goo price or should I keep looking? Thanks again

Sent from my iPhone using IH8MUD

Got it. So what are your measurements for the following: (these are the measures you need to give the shop when you take it to get lengthened) 1) T-case output to pinion flange measurement 2) Drive shaft compressed measurement 4) T-case to pinion flange measurement under articulation.

I would caution that just lengthening the DS could result in a broken transfer case nose cone when the drive shaft is compressed and has has nowhere to go. What I got from this thread: https://forum.ih8mud.com/60-series-wagons/347134-drive-shaft-lengthen-spacer.html is you may be best served by an extended spline kit, like the one sold by Trailgear.

Just trying to help.

Hey Stump how can I get the DS to compress?

This didn't do the trick?

photo-1.jpg

This didn't do the trick?

photo-1.jpg

I would try doing the same exercise with the other tire. That should push the pumpkin back towards the TC (with shackle reversal) & extend the other side.

Are your springs reversed?

here piggy piggy

I think you are ready for the pig run now

Yes springs are reversed as well and I have a 1.5 longer shackle too.

How about a picture of the DS when setting level? I second jcj's suggestion of stuffing the passenger side to get the DS to compress.
Given that you flipped the springs as well, I definitely recommend the extended spline kit.

:Looks good, BTW. Nice rubber too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom