Driveability advice -- (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all --

I'm looking at a '94 and I had a friend drive it yesterday (it's 2,000 miles away) --

When driving the vehicle, my friend said there is a slight vibration in the steering wheel and more road noise than usual (he's got an 80, too) --

The present owner recently replaced the original shocks with KYBs and the tires are affected by the old (bad) shocks, leaving them somewhat cupped -- the owner said the vehicle might need a new steering damper (?), but my friend said it was just due to the tires --

-- are these deal-breaker points, or is this likely fixed by the new shocks and the tires wearing to the new shocks??

THANKS!

eric

Eric,
I think once a tire has been cupped or scalloped it's going to remain that way. So long as there are not any underlying problems with the rig I would think it would still be good to go. And the bad tire performance could be from something as innocuous as not rotating them. If your friend gave the truck a good mechanical bill of health then go for it. If it seems a bit sketchy then walk away.

[quote author=moralien link=board=2;threadid=6297;start=msg50669#msg50669 date=1066139039]
Eric,
I think once a tire has been cupped or scalloped it's going to remain that way. So long as there are not any underlying problems with the rig I would think it would still be good to go. And the bad tire performance could be from something as innocuous as not rotating them. If your friend gave the truck a good mechanical bill of health then go for it. If it seems a bit sketchy then walk away.

[/quote]

Thanks for this, Nick -- I'm waiting for photos to feel it out more, and then we'll go from there!

:)

IMO shocks aren't going to cup a tire. That is an alignment issue. My factory set of tires had 60k on them with no cupping and wore evenly and my BFGs now have 60k and have no cupping. Once apon a time when I did alignments every day I could tell you what was off (Caster, Camber or Toe in), 25 years (20 of which have been marriage ::) ) has erased that ability. Check carfax for accidents and I'd get it up on a machine.

[quote author=landtank link=board=2;threadid=6297;start=msg50699#msg50699 date=1066143722]
IMO shocks aren't going to cup a tire. That is an alignment issue. My factory set of tires had 60k on them with no cupping and wore evenly and my BFGs now have 60k and have no cupping. Once apon a time when I did alignments every day I could tell you what was off (Caster, Camber or Toe in), 25 years (20 of which have been marriage ::) ) has erased that ability. Check carfax for accidents and I'd get it up on a machine.
[/quote]

oh wow, Rick -- thanks for this -- I did an AutoCheck test on the vehicle and everything's okay -- hmmm.... I'll wait till I get some real pictures and see if anything is obvious -- I'll PM you when I get them --

THANKS!

eric

I would agree with Nick (even though he and I hate each other :D :D) that if the tires are worn poorly, they will never again ride properly. Also, the tires may be slightly out of round even though they are visibly okay causing the problem (I had a BMW that if the tires were not shaved to ensure roundness would have a slight vibration about 85-90). Also, you should be checking the Ball Joints and Tie Rods for slop.

Cary

[quote author=cary link=board=2;threadid=6297;start=msg50716#msg50716 date=1066145652]
I would agree with Nick (even though he and I hate each other :D :D) that if the tires are worn poorly, they will never again ride properly. Also, the tires may be slightly out of round even though they are visibly okay causing the problem (I had a BMW that if the tires were not shaved to ensure roundness would have a slight vibration about 85-90). Also, you should be checking the Ball Joints and Tie Rods for slop.

Cary
[/quote]

thanks, Cary -- this 80's only got 75K on it, so hopefully none of the hardware is too worn out, you know?? I'm wondering if new tires will just go bad again -- I may pay for an alignment check on this rig before I get all excited --

eric

85-90?????

I want to drive the road with that speed limit :D

I'm assuming this is the white cruiser? I thought briefly about pursuing this one but am no longer interested in that color.

I ran a carfax on it I can forward to you if you want. Just email me at desertcruiser@cox.net. The vehicle has a clean title. Has had 3 different owners between 95-97... the last owner owning it since Jan 97. It was initially a lease vehicle. Nothing else stood out.

[quote author=cruiserdan link=board=2;threadid=6297;start=msg50719#msg50719 date=1066145927]
85-90?????

I want to drive the road with that speed limit :D
[/quote]

Called the California Bahn, if it is going under 80 it is a house!!!! Honestly, I tend to cruise a bit faster than most, in my 320i when I was going from LA to SF every other week, it was about 85-90, with bursts up to 110. (I didn't hurt that I worked for a PD at the time and had a uniform in the car). I will say there are several places I drive where the flow of traffic can hit 100 regularly. I can confirm having seen 100 on the LC speedo, but it takes a while to get there, not like the wife's BMW.

It is still nothing like Germany, speeds actually on average are pretty tame 85-100 mph (remember gas is $4-5 gallon and the faster you drive, the more it costs), but you can see huge speed differentials, I was doing about 130 in the left lane, and had to hussle out of the way for a 911 that was doing 165+. That said, it is very relaxing to drive in Germany, excellent drivers, very strict lane dissipline. I think it is a capital offense to pass on the right. :eek:

Cary

Definitely a capital offense to pass on the right in Germany. Flashing your headlights is like the middle finger here. People just get out of the way, unless they have a tag from the Netherlands. I found, on a motorcyle trip taken last summer, that relatively few opportunities exist to really open it up....However, there were a couple of times when I got to see what the new BMW R1100s would do. You learn to really look behind you before getting into the left lane. I only wish that Americans drove like the Germans. And, did I mention that semis stay in the right hand lane, always?

[quote author=eight-oh link=board=2;threadid=6297;start=msg50748#msg50748 date=1066149082]
Has had 3 different owners between 95-97... the last owner owning it since Jan 97. It was initially a lease vehicle. Nothing else stood out.
[/quote]

3 owners in 3 years stands out IMO. Get out the fine toothed comb.

[quote author=cruiserman link=board=2;threadid=6297;start=msg50867#msg50867 date=1066164689]
3 owners in 3 years stands out IMO. Get out the fine toothed comb.
[/quote]

this leaking scares me, too --

LinkPhoto

Eric,
Red-X
-B-

Hey look, it's the excess grease thrown by the driveshaft joint that every dealer in the US mistakes for a rear main leak! Also known as "Whoopsie, we're sorry we took your $1000". :D Really, we are....no really....

IdahoDoug

The present owner recently replaced the original shocks with KYBs and the tires are affected by the old (bad) shocks,
The original Dampers for Toyota were made by KYB, :) And are of a much higher quality product than the Monroes. - That so many people are fond of. :p

The most likely couse of the cupped Tyres is under inflation. - I prefer the original 16x5.5 Rims with 7.5 16 Tyres than the bloody aftermarket 16x8 Rims with 270/70 R16 Tyres. :mad: Wears out the the outer edges(left side) of the left Tyres. ???

With that Photo, What is that thing below the Sump? ???

[quote author=Beowulf link=board=2;threadid=6297;start=msg50928#msg50928 date=1066175192]
Eric,
Red-X
-B-

[/quote]

hmmm.. it comes up on my computer, B - try re-loading it... :)

e

[quote author=Jonathan_Ferguson link=board=2;threadid=6297;start=msg51058#msg51058 date=1066203550]
The original Dampers for Toyota were made by KYB, :) And are of a much higher quality product than the Monroes. - That so many people are fond of. :p

With that Photo, What is that thing below the Sump? ???
[/quote]

I'm not sure what that thing is, Jonathon --

-- what do you think about the leak?? Or the other pictures of the underbody (under the "valuation" thread)??

:)

e

Jonathon,
US 93-94's with the bus automatic tranny got a skid plate of sorts. It's better than the xfer skid plate and it's better than nothing... which is what the later US 80's got.
-B-

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom