Drive light not lit and PWR light doesnt work (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
When I shift my Landcruiser into drive the "D" does not illuminate. All other gears show up just fine. I thought perhaps a light was just burned out and figured no big deal but then I tried the PWR button and the same thing....no light. The 2ND button works and lights on the dash as well as the O/D light works.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

The "D" light is burned out. Not that bad to replace, but it takes a little time. The PWR button may not be functioning. It's common for soda and coffee to spill on it an gum up the internals of the switch. The dash bulb may also be burned out.

Looks like you will be either living with it or pulling the cluster.
Mine had 3 bulbs burnt out when I pulled it out a couple of weeks ago.
It's a pretty easy job to remove the cluster, and the center section with the bulbs you will need to replace will need to be removed from the cluster (at least that is the way it is on a '93) the center section just snaps out and the bulb sockets twist in from one side.

I pulled the switch and jumpered the connections and if I turn on the "2nd" button and then hit the "PWR" button it turns off the "2nd" light. This would lead me to believe that the button is working and that it is simply a burnt out light. Does anyone concur? Also, can you get the replacement lights at a regular auto parts store?

Thanks for all the help.

I pulled the switch and jumpered the connections and if I turn on the "2nd" button and then hit the "PWR" button it turns off the "2nd" light. This would lead me to believe that the button is working and that it is simply a burnt out light. Does anyone concur?

Sounds like a neat trick, but really, you should be able to tell whether it's working just by driving the rig with/without it engaged: should be noticeably later upshifts (i.e., holding lower gears longer) on acceleration when in "PWR" mode.

Oh, and no reason not to get the lights right from the dealer; they shouldn't be too pricey. Also: You know about C-Dan??

Cheers,

Curtis

My D light is out too. I'm sure it gets used a lot more than the other lights so yeah it's more than likely just burned out. TreerootCO has a pretty big write up on replacing with LED's which you may or may not want to do. The point is his write up might give you some help in other areas.

I have learned to live with it.

If the vehicle goes forward and shifts past 2nd, I have game.

:D
I don't like to fix stuff like this either. If you shift and no light comes on then you must be in drive, right.:cheers:

my check engine light just came on a week ago, wife has been driving it to work as it is a p0401. I drove it the other day and said, wait honey how come the "D" light is back on? She said oh i didnt even notice, i replied how are you gonna notice if the engine starts to overheat or the oil pressure takes a big dump! :eek: She replies well i didnt think it would its a land cruiser. I love my wife but sometimes i want to buy her a new rig so i can have the cruiser! :D

Has anyones D light come back on after about a year of being off?

Has anyones D light come back on after about a year of being off?

Sure, usually after doing the "Dashboard Smack" mod :lol:

Does your wife like to jump Cruisers or smack the dash in anger at idiot drivers? :hmm:

Also if you are going to be taking the cluster out to replace the bulbs...do yourself a favor and buy a few more than you need. Or if you want to be anal you could replace all of them while you are in there. Why you ask?

I tore into mine to replace a couple bulbs. No big deal, sealed it all back up and now I have more out than before I started. I am guessing the taking it out and handling it jarred some of the other bulbs and they don't want to work now.

Does your wife like to jump Cruisers or smack the dash in anger at idiot drivers? :hmm:

No she never gets road rage or takes it off sweet jumps or anything! :p

But really it might have come back after wiggling a few things under the hood looking for loose hoses and the like! Just a wierd situation

But really it might have come back after wiggling a few things under the hood looking for loose hoses and the like! Just a wierd situation

Corsair's not kidding; smacking the dash has long been recommended as the first line of attack for the old "no D light" issue.

In fact, I honestly think C-Dan was the one to first propose it (a few years ago).

Curtis

I had no D light or O/D light. Dash smacking brought back the O/D for awhile. Simple fix and cheap bulbs at the dealer.

Skillet, next visit up we will get some bulbs and I will change them for you while you suck back the suds :beer:

Corsair's not kidding; smacking the dash has long been recommended as the first line of attack for the old "no D light" issue.

In fact, I honestly think C-Dan was the one to first propose it (a few years ago).

Curtis

The dash smack does work. I was on my way home from work tonight and when I pulled up into my drive I figured a little hit couldn't hurt after all it fixed my gear shift light on the floor. To my surprise the first hit did it and made the Speedometer hand jump too. The light is about have the intensity as the others though but it did come on. I figured I'd stop while I was ahead and not smack it anymore to see if would get brighter. With my luck I'd knock out the other lights or worse yet my speedometer.

Im pretty sure the D light is supposed to be less bright than the others..

Makes sense considering it will be on 100% of the time when youre driving, so it won't be so bright and distracting...

At least thats what I gather over reading similar posts on this board since I bought my LX.

I found out when I was checking my little bulbs for the lights that either the dealer or a previous owner at some point yanked out my CHECK ENGINE light bulb to hide the CEL...

Im pretty sure the D light is supposed to be less bright than the others..

Makes sense considering it will be on 100% of the time when youre driving, so it won't be so bright and distracting...

At least thats what I gather over reading similar posts on this board since I bought my LX.

I found out when I was checking my little bulbs for the lights that either the dealer or a previous owner at some point yanked out my CHECK ENGINE light bulb to hide the CEL...

Makes sense. If it didn't come on wouldn't have bothered me though and I really didn't think smacking the dash would work. It's never fixed anything before when I got pissed off.:D:D

Makes sense. If it didn't come on wouldn't have bothered me though and I really didn't think smacking the dash would work. It's never fixed anything before when I got pissed off.:D:D

:clap:

Actually got to try the "smack mod" over the weekend. My wife was driving us around in her 80 and she mentioned the "D" light was out and had been for a couple of weeks. I told her to smack the dash. She promptly knocked on the plexiglass :rolleyes:. I told her to try a nice hard thump on the TOP of the dash and sure enough the "D" light came back on :steer:

On, and on the intensity of the light...With the parking or headlights off the intensity should be full strength. With the parking or headlights on it should be at less than full strenght so as to not distract your night driving :D - Those Toyota engineers think of everything :flipoff2:

I've got several bulbs burned out... "D", check engine, the center diff lock light, and a couple on the A/C panel...

Do I need a sawzall to do this job correctly?

I'll have to try this dash mack mod. :) My D light is out as well.

I noticed the lights behind my HVAC buttons come and go depending on how hard I push the buttons. ;)

My other issue is that my shifter doesn't seem to line up very well with the indicators down on the console. Anyone have a fix for that?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom