Drive 2,400 miles home? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Bought a 1978 40 in Wyoming and can ship it, or drive it back to Charleston, SC. Driving it will be about 2,400 miles. I've never owned a 40, but thinking of taking some earplugs and bouncing my way at 60mph back. It has supposedly been baselined and runs well. Is this a completely idiotic idea? Thought it might be a fun adventure. I've also never been around Wyoming and don't know if anyone has suggestions of heading east then south, or head south towards Denver.

Ship it.

Unless you know without a doubt it is ready to make 2400 miles. Kansas sucks.

What's you mechanical ability.

you can rack up $2,500 between towing and shop hours easily.

All good advice!!!!!!!!!!!! Any pics of the new rig???

Do it! that would be an awesome adventure.

Dyno

I was going to ship it, then waved down this older couple from Brazil yesterday that took their old rover from South America to Alaska, across Canada and still going. Kind of made me wonder when I stopped looking at the adventure in life and defaulted to the 'intelligent' choice.

50748692328__825443E0-7EE8-46B7-B461-2859999497D6.JPG
50748694786__566C7AA7-F636-4E03-93CD-B4D9F68689E2.JPG

I had a similar dilemma and opted to ship. Glad I did. Yours looks to be in great shape though so if you wanted to it'd probably make it. But driving a 40 that far would be no Sunday drive. Especially if you need to make a B line back home. I wouldn't want to drive my 40 longer than 6 hours per day.

I'm probably legally insane in most countries... I say drive it.
Take a small kit of your best tools and do it.
Just don't be in a hurry.

Congrats!!!

If you have the time, desire, a travelling buddy, and a little spending money Id put a vote in for the drive/adventure.
Ive driven across the US twice (once all the way to Alaska), logged thousands of miles in a number of the western states, and have covered half of Australia via road trips and enjoyed mostly all of it. Some of my best memories in fact. Take a camera (I guess a smart phone works now a days) and plan your route, stops, and sights of interest along the way ahead of time -- you will never forget the experience.

. . . I will admit that my travels did not take place in a FJ40 and my speed/comfort was probably a couple notches up. I also planned my travels around the time of year/weather -- I would not want to drive thru the mountains this time of year and snow can be up in the higher elevations well into June. Just an opinion. . . I am at a point in life where I could not take on such an adventure with a wife, mortgage, and business to run. . . but I am glad I did when I had the chance.

Last edited:
thinking 7-10 days, 250-300 miles a day

These trucks are slow on the highway and at 60mph with the stock 4.11 axle ratio the engine will sound like it is going to explode, if you can even hear the engine over the wind noise caused by the FJ40 having the aerodynamics of a bookshelf - and you will still hold up traffic on the highway. Expect around 10-11mpg so fuel costs will add up as well. That said, it could still be a good/enjoyable trip with the right attitude and sense of adventure. May be easier with two drivers as well if the other person has a matching sense of adventure.

Too bad you weren't going in the opposite direction across the states as the Trans-America Trail would have been an option and looks like it would be a blast.

I'd say go for it.

One other bit of input: I've always thought a hand-throttle or some other cruise control mod would be nice on the longer trips.

Good luck and congrats on the new FJ - it looks like a good truck.

I would drive it if you have the time. It would be a great experience. Go for it and enjoy the ride. Besides you will get to know your new truck very well. Nice looking truck!!
Good Luck

Drive it man!!!!!

I drove mine 1100 miles home through the rockies and the prairies! Was i worried oh hell yah.... But its an adventure ill always remember

I was drooling over that 40 when i saw it for sale. Great truck

Do a thread for the journey its fun!

Here is a link to my journey

Cruiser karma has paid me back! (An unexpected journey)

Lots of cash, credit/debit card, make sure you can charge your cell phone in the truck, gas can or two and a hand held CB radio. Or have a chase vehicle. Sounds fun! I would probably trailer it myself though.

These trucks are slow on the highway and at 60mph with the stock 4.11 axle ratio the engine will sound like it is going to explode, if you can even hear the engine over the wind noise caused by the FJ40 having the aerodynamics of a bookshelf - and you will still hold up traffic on the highway. Expect around 10-11mpg so fuel costs will add up as well. That said, it could still be a good/enjoyable trip with the right attitude and sense of adventure. May be easier with two drivers as well if the other person has a matching sense of adventure.

Too bad you weren't going in the opposite direction across the states as the Trans-America Trail would have been an option and looks like it would be a blast.

I'd say go for it.

One other bit of input: I've always thought a hand-throttle or some other cruise control mod would be nice on the longer trips.

Good luck and congrats on the new FJ - it looks like a good truck.

I was actually planning on doing the trans-america trail starting in Oklahoma heading back, can you not do it in reverse? That seems odd, thanks for any tips

Congrats on the rig!! I liked it too when it came up for sale.
You have to look at these things with the consideration of what you will do when the unexpected happens, meaning if you breakdown in StLouis and have a tight 7 to 10 day timeline before you have to go back to a job, what will you do?
If you can handle the potential downside both emotionally and time and money wise it will be a trip you will never forget. On the practical side it is much cheaper to ship as well.
I'm certainly in for following along in the journey if you decide to document the trip.
Also lots of good mud brothers along the way that I'm sure would lend a hand if needed.
Good luck either way :steer:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom