Drew's MegaCheap homebrew 3b turbo thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

2017 Update - I haven't touched a damn thing on this build since I put it on; chinese turbo still going strong, which I find hilarious. I was DD'ing (commuting) in this truck all the way until about 4 months ago when I started driving my son to day care. Still drive occasionally though and it never lets me down.

I also live at 5000' now, the turbo is a huge help.

I missed this thread first time round, that is one badass mega cheap turbo setup.

I'm adding this fine example of mud engineering to the FAQ.:hillbilly:

Hey, shoutout to this thread and @amaurer - I've just about wrapped up my project turbo install my our BJ70 using this method, box tube manifold, Volvo turbo & VW intercooler... So far so good!

Saving the silver 70...

Dude, awesome. I see you didn't angle the ends of the box tube in as severely as I did, nice work.
Haha - want to know the real story? The box tube was a chunk I pulled from my scrap pile, and one end was already cut at an angle.... Being lazy, I just matched the other end to the same angle ;cD

Just posted a short video in the other thread.... Hopefully next will be a running video!

Haha - want to know the real story? The box tube was a chunk I pulled from my scrap pile, and one end was already cut at an angle.... Being lazy, I just matched the other end to the same angle ;cD

Just posted a short video in the other thread.... Hopefully next will be a running video!

Sorry if i missed it but what type of hose did you use from the air cleaner to turbo? Also where did you find it?

Sorry if i missed it but what type of hose did you use from the air cleaner to turbo? Also where did you find it?

This was actually a hard bit to find, but I believe I got it off of Amazon or at Autozone. Its a Spectre Racing #8741 duct.

Nevermind i was searching the wrong thing. Found ot on amazon canda for $25 haha should work well with my plan or at least give me options

New turbo install. Any special thoughts on cold weather starts?like -35c cold. The one I'm dealing with fogs like crazy on start up for 10+ minutes and runs quite roughly that whole time. I never get it on the turbo until it's had a good chance to get pyrometer moving up. Has anyone got thots on v cold starts

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom