Drawer Plywood Thickness (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I may start building my drawers for the FJ. I’m basically copying the Drifta design. It’s perfect for how I’m looking to set up. My question is... 1/2 or 3/4 for the box? Is 3/4 over-engendered for drawers? Or should I stick with 3/4 box and 1/2 for drawers? Your thoughts...

Cc @76FJ40

I would use 3/4 regular ply or 1/2 Baltic Birch for the box (3/4 for the top if you plan to pit much weight on it). Rabbet the box sides and back. Also suggest 1/2 Baltic for the drawers so you can dovetail or at least use rabbets for the front and dados for the back. I don't think you'll be happy with regular ply for the drawers. Shop around for the Baltic as prices vary widely.

You can also ask @fireball for his recommendations; he's made drawers for a number of Cruisers.

My plan is for Baltic. I planned on regular rabbet butt joints. Maybe dados in rear but not dovetails. With Baltic would you still say 3/4 for top. I’m painting and covering surfaces with marine carpet. Thanks!

I’ll be doing some plastic/composit slides. Definitely going to use rabbet or dado joints. My tentative plan is Baltic for the material, 1/2 for bottom, sides, back, drawers, and center devider, with 3/4 on top. Marine carpet, stainless hardware.

Assuming 2 drawers and a rib between them 1/2" Baltic should be ok unless you're putting something heavy like a fridge or a bunch of tools on top.

I get the idea. Clever. There may be some heavy stuff in the future. I may have to do all 3/4. Or I could just give it a go with a 3/4 top. I’ll send pictures when I start.

I used 3/4 birch for mine. It’s working well so far.
upload_2019-1-6_20-48-7.jpeg

Looks nice. I got all my plans drawn up. Ordered some stainless slam paddle latches and poly material to cut for slides. Construction will begin soon. I’ll post up when I’m all finished.

I like the diamond plate top.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom