Drawer Plywood Thickness

Discussion in 'VA/DC/MD- Capital Land Cruiser Club' started by Explorer4Hire, Jan 1, 2019.

1. Explorer4Hire

Explorer4Hire

I may start building my drawers for the FJ. I’m basically copying the Drifta design. It’s perfect for how I’m looking to set up. My question is... 1/2 or 3/4 for the box? Is 3/4 over-engendered for drawers? Or should I stick with 3/4 box and 1/2 for drawers? Your thoughts...

Cc @76FJ40

2. 76FJ40

76FJ40 Old Fart SILVER Star

I would use 3/4 regular ply or 1/2 Baltic Birch for the box (3/4 for the top if you plan to pit much weight on it). Rabbet the box sides and back. Also suggest 1/2 Baltic for the drawers so you can dovetail or at least use rabbets for the front and dados for the back. I don't think you'll be happy with regular ply for the drawers. Shop around for the Baltic as prices vary widely.

You can also ask @fireball for his recommendations; he's made drawers for a number of Cruisers.

Pacer, JohnVee and Explorer4Hire like this.
  3. Explorer4Hire

Explorer4Hire

My plan is for Baltic. I planned on regular rabbet butt joints. Maybe dados in rear but not dovetails. With Baltic would you still say 3/4 for top. I’m painting and covering surfaces with marine carpet. Thanks!

4. Devilmans Hand

Devilmans Hand TLCA #19517

Media:
    Albums:
    Think I used 3/4 for the frame and 1/2 Baltic Birch for my two sets that I've built. No fancy joints, just glued and screwed. Plenty strong, but eventually I'll upgrade my slides. I've managed to stuff more tools in there that I had planned for.

JohnVee and 76FJ40 like this.
  5. Explorer4Hire

Explorer4Hire

I’ll be doing some plastic/composit slides. Definitely going to use rabbet or dado joints. My tentative plan is Baltic for the material, 1/2 for bottom, sides, back, drawers, and center devider, with 3/4 on top. Marine carpet, stainless hardware.

6. 76FJ40

76FJ40 Old Fart SILVER Star

Assuming 2 drawers and a rib between them 1/2" Baltic should be ok unless you're putting something heavy like a fridge or a bunch of tools on top.

Explorer4Hire likes this.
  7. JohnVee

JohnVee SILVER Star

The PO of my wife's LX used a hole saw to cut some 2" holes in the sides of the drawer carcass that he built. Anything to keep weight down. I'd snap a pic but it's 400 miles away in my basement.

76FJ40 and Explorer4Hire like this.
  8. Explorer4Hire

Explorer4Hire

I get the idea. Clever. There may be some heavy stuff in the future. I may have to do all 3/4. Or I could just give it a go with a 3/4 top. I’ll send pictures when I start.

9. KiPod

KiPod

I used 3/4 birch for mine. It’s working well so far.
    upload_2019-1-6_20-48-7.jpeg

Itsky, Explorer4Hire and Jakes40 like this.
  10. Explorer4Hire

Explorer4Hire

Looks nice. I got all my plans drawn up. Ordered some stainless slam paddle latches and poly material to cut for slides. Construction will begin soon. I’ll post up when I’m all finished.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.