DoubleE 86 4R 22RE Build Thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

There should be a few good write ups on here. In fact, I’m pretty sure I did one. Using Ruffstuff’s kit, you mount new leaf hangers in front of and behind the existing hangers. The fixed hanger is 11.5” behind the stock hanger eye to eye. The shackle hanger is the one you can adjust to get your desired shackle angle. With the 4Runner, you’d want to closer to the factory hanger than say a single cab pickup that’s normally got an empty bed. I don’t know the measurements for that one off the the top of my head but easily found. 7 5/8” or something like that. Not sure exactly.
You want 80s to early 00s Chevy pickup 63” leaf springs. They are very common. SD spring has them for under $350 shipped or around that. They a 3 leaf and 4 leaf. Might consider the 4 leaf with the extra weight of the 4Runner. Gives you a nice 2.5” lift and rides great. You can throw a 1” block under there as well to bump up the lift if it’s not enough but then you need to make e-brake raising tabs.
Get RuffStuff’s 6” shackles to go along with this as well. Fairly inexpensive suspension upgrade if you find used springs but careful not to get clapped out springs. Any questions, happy to help.

I run 63’s on my crawler and they work great. You should consider sas, you’d be way farther a head if you’re going to wheel it.

Not sure I am trying to get that crazy, don't have any issues with IFS, kinda prefer for street-ability.

do tell me more. I ran the old man on my 4th gen definitely doesn't mean I think its going to be the same in this. I honestly don't know what I want to do yet...

I’m running OME in my ‘89 4Runner and it rides amazingly well. I’m not sure what Toast wasn’t happy with, but I couldn’t be happier with the ride and handling in mine.

That storage setup is looking good! Good use of the nooks and crannies.

Well I replaced the shifter boots while I have the interior apart... The shifter trim decided it was time to make its exit and pretty much crumbled in my hands...

if anyone knows where I can get a replacement that isn't $300+ I would be forever grateful..

the new boots are nice though...

60763961960__2E897DBC-3713-4C22-9CB8-3ABBC265D7CE.jpeg

I’m running OME in my ‘89 4Runner and it rides amazingly well. I’m not sure what Toast wasn’t happy with, but I couldn’t be happier with the ride and handling in mine.

I have a single cab which rode like crap with the OME. Not enough weight back there. 4runners on the other hand, do ok with the OME springs. The only drawback is the minimal flex they offer. Just depends on what you’re going for. Also, I get that not everyone has the ability to fab and weld so if you’re looking for the easiest route then OME is for you.

I have a single cab which rode like crap with the OME. Not enough weight back there. 4runners on the other hand, do ok with the OME springs. The only drawback is the minimal flex they offer. Just depends on what you’re going for.

I hear you. Given where you are located, flex and travel are definitely things that would be high on the priority list. My 4Runner is more of a fire road type of wheeler. I may take it on some mild trails once in a very long while, but it’s in too nice condition to mess with very much.

Well I replaced the shifter boots while I have the interior apart... The shifter trim decided it was time to make its exit and pretty much crumbled in my hands...

if anyone knows where I can get a replacement that isn't $300+ I would be forever grateful..

the new boots are nice though...

View attachment 2263500

Poke around on your local craigslist for anyone parting these out. They are hard to find - took me months and months of searching to find one for a decent price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom