Doors unlock unexpectedly... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all,

Approximately 2 & 1/2 years ago my truck would randomly unlock (front dome light flashed, door opened indicator light in the dash glowed) WHEN making a hard left. Brought the truck in under CPO program, the dealer replaced the right front door lock actuator (and noted 'due to internal short); and the issue seemed to be fixed, well, but not so long.

Recently the problem started creeping back, starting with flashing front dome light on hard lefts, then on slow left (like when making a u-turn); and now it would even do that traveling rough road surfaces (potholes...).

With the door actuator probably the cuprit again - any idea as what would be causing the actuator to go bad so quick? I don't seem to recall any others that has the same issue.

Any inputs are greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Frank.

Hopefully it's just the striker on the passenger side door. It's usually the front door striker. The striker is that "U" shaped deal that the door latch catches onto (for the front door, it's on the "B" pillar). Make sure that both (since you have a 97) are VERY VERY tight. If it's even just a quarter turn loose, you'll encounter this problem.

I had the same thing happen to me, but it was with my 94 LC. It got so bad that it would happen when I turned the AC or fan on full blast and would happen when I drove on rough corrugated roads. On the 94, there are 4 screws holding the striker in place -- just one was slightly loose on mine.

Check both the front and rear doors -- hell, check all 4 strikers just to be safe.

I bet they tightened the striker when they replaced the actuator...which is probably what solved the problem the first time around.

I had the same problem and it was the striker, not the actuator. A dead blow hammer fixed it.

The vehicle thinks a door is open. It could also be a loose rear hatch. Either a door is not fully closed or you have a bad courtisy switch someplace.

Dan,
'97s have separate triggers for front & rear domes so it must be around the front (right) door locking mechanism. I checked the door switch and it seems to be ok.

Doug, Pat,
Good call! In one of my post a while ago, I mentioned that I did have to tighten the front doors' strikers around (or after) the same time I brought the car in for service; and also doubt that if it was the ultimate fix for it. I'll check them again to be sure.

Thanks again,
Frank.

I had the same thing on my '97 LX450 the striker was fine and the door would close tight. It seemed to be a bad / warn courtisy switch.

I put a piece of felt pad on the door where it makes contact with the switch. Those little pads that stick to the bottom of chair legs to level them out work well. Or replace the switch, but this did the trick.

Left turns mean it's the passenger door as it will want to open as you make a hard left. To test it, have the passenger push on the door, from the inside, while it's closed. The dash "door ajar" light should come on.

Update:

From Doug's tip, I tightened one of the screw on the striker (approx. 60 degree moment). Also, removed the door switch to inspect it as well. As I was unscrewing the bolt that holds the switch to the body, I saw lots of e-sparks during the process - it appears that the switch is a ground switched one and the bolt itself is kinda corroded where it contacts the switch; anywho, dipped the bolt on dielectric grease and reinstalled things back. It's been a month and the issue doesn't seem coming back (crossing my fingers).

Thanks all,
Frank.

Had this same issue, along with the fact that the alarm was un-setting itself, at night. Dome lights would flash going around curves, and if the doors were locked, they'd unlock. Had one courtesy switch that was flaky, replaced it, readjusted door jambs, still had the issue. Said to hell with it, and replaced all the rest of the courtesy switches, and put little plastic pads on the doors to make sure the damn things were being hit solidly. Readjusted the jambs. So far, so good--even at speed, on the corners, no issues with the dome lights coming on.

Of course, having fixed that, I took the truck down to the car wash, and had the exterior done. After going through, I'm sitting there, waiting on the guy to do the tires, and I notice that I'm being dripped on. Appears I have a leak somewhere in the vicinity of the A-pillar grab handle upper mount, and water is dripping along the headliner seam that's right above there. Also took a close look at the seal on the windshield, and discovered a fairly large spot of rust... <sigh> Is there a law of nature that says there will always be one more damn thing to fix, on a vehicle, no matter what? I can't wait to figure out what this is gonna cost me...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom