Key won’t lock or unlock rear doors (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
All of the sudden, when turning key twice to lock or unlock the rear doors, there seems to be sound from the rear door area, but it’s not locking or unlocking the doors. Any experience with this?

All three, or just the two side doors? The door lock on the hatch doesn't take as much force to operate, and usually works, even when one of the rear door lock motors gets weak. If it's just the side doors, I'd suspect the motors. If it's all three, I'd suspect the door lock control relay, since the LH/RH sides are separate circuits.
1686771331725.png

Last edited:
All three, or just the two side doors? The door lock on the hatch doesn't take as much force to operate, and usually works, even when one of the rear door lock motors gets weak. If it's just the side doors, I'd suspect the motors. If it's all three, I'd suspect the door lock control relay, since the LH/RH sides are separate circuits.
View attachment 3349270
Thanks, all 3 in fact. Since they both stopped at the same time, the relay seems to make sense. Is this the one within the driver side door? I looked on the diagram on slee and couldn’t place it.

Yes. Use the factory EWD. It's in the Resources section.

Last edited:
1686850439978.png

1686850241599.png

All of the sudden, when turning key twice to lock or unlock the rear doors, there seems to be sound from the rear door area, but it’s not locking or unlocking the doors. Any experience with this?
As you are getting sound from the back doors, that means you have power. From you description, it appears to me like the door lock motors have gotten tired.

Did you get a cold night? Mine worked fine when I bought the truck in the summer, but all locks got progressively weaker, then one cold morning they just twiched but wouldn't unlock. When it warmed up again they worked....ish.

The motors get weak over time and they can't overcome the dried grease packed in the lock gear train.

Yes, it does.

I have had the same issue for years. The double tap on the drivers door lock no longer works on the passenger or rear doors. And no sound from the rears indicating it is not the motors. Unlocking the passenger door does unlock the driver and rear doors.

Does anyone know the part number of D 22 door lock relay in the diagram above?

View attachment 3349270
Dude, your wealth of knowledge is impressive.

Thanks for your posts...I find them extremely helpful even when not a focal point of my own investigations!

As you are getting sound from the back doors, that means you have power. From you description, it appears to me like the door lock motors have gotten tired.

Did you get a cold night? Mine worked fine when I bought the truck in the summer, but all locks got progressively weaker, then one cold morning they just twiched but wouldn't unlock. When it warmed up again they worked....ish.

The motors get weak over time and they can't overcome the dried grease packed in the lock gear train.
PS Front/Rear and DS rear actuators on mine click but don't do anything...so, on the list of fixes is going to a junk yard and pulling actuators out of the same year Camry. I've read they hold up a lot better, even though they're the same exact one.

:popcorn:

I'd just like to point out that all 5 actuators are wired in parallel. If they don't all work in unison, I wouldn't suspect the control relay.

I'd just like to point out that all 5 actuators are wired in parallel. If they don't all work in unison, I wouldn't suspect the control relay.
What would you suspect then? Just dirt and grime or something else? Or is that "something else" too many things to drill down?

Thanks,

What would you suspect then? Just dirt and grime or something else? Or is that "something else" too many things to drill down?

Thanks,
On the one that failed on me, it was dirty/carbonized contacts on the motor armature. I cleaned them with contact cleaner and it worked great for a couple of years, until it failed again. I went back in and found I actually had to burnish the contacts to get them fully clean and shiney. HTH.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom