Don’t know what this dial is in my 94 Dyna fire truck (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am trying to take off the dash board of my 94 Dyna fire truck to put a new outlet into the electrical system. Anyone know what this dial is? Looking at a Dyna manual it could be a rheostat? What ever it is, how would I go about safely disconnecting it?

A7B669EB-70B1-4F58-A0ED-A2B1DDC10914.jpeg

Looks like the hand throttle, used to bring idle RPM up for winching and other electrical high-load things. You use the gas pedal to bring the RPM up to where you want them, then pull and twist the knob(I think, it's been a while since I've used it) to lock it at that RPM.

Does the water pump for the fire fighting unit run off the gearbox? The hand throttle (I think the official name is "accelerator") is often used to increase engine speed to run items connected to the PTO. As you turn the dial , it pulls on the accelerator cable. It works best if you put your foot down a little as you turn it. I use them to bump up the RPMs for a few minutes on cold starts.
I used to have an 85 dyna dual cab , it had one but it was petrol.

Does the water pump for the fire fighting unit run off the gearbox? The hand throttle (I think the official name is "accelerator") is often used to increase engine speed to run items connected to the PTO. As you turn the dial , it pulls on the accelerator cable. It works best if you put your foot down a little as you turn it. I use them to bump up the RPMs for a few minutes on cold starts.
I used to have an 85 dyna dual cab , it had one but it was petrol.
Haven’t ran the pump but I believe it does run off the gear box

Looks like the hand throttle, used to bring idle RPM up for winching and other electrical high-load things. You use the gas pedal to bring the RPM up to where you want them, then pull and twist the knob(I think, it's been a while since I've used it) to lock it at that RPM.
You know if I should keep it twisted clockwise all the way in out counter clock wise all the way out during normal times?

You’ll want it all the way CCW, otherwise the throttle pedal will be partly depressed.

You know if I should keep it twisted clockwise all the way in out counter clock wise all the way out during normal times?

Twist CW to lock in your target RPM, twist CCW to release, assuming it's working properly.

would that mean i could use it while im driving as kind of a cruise control?

:rolleyes: ... yeah but be very carefull when pressing the clutch if an emergency happen... the engine sudently, without load, will have the RPM jump to the red zone !

would that mean i could use it while im driving as kind of a cruise control?
I would definitely advise against it. It only adds to the danger in an emergency . If you lost control of the vehicle, the engine would still be revving at high speed, possibly propelling you into the path of another vehicle. These things happen in 1/10s of seconds, too fast to make decisions on.
You have to think about who will be held responsible.

They are useful at low speeds on very rough ground to smooth out the rpms, 12HT owners know about that.

I sometimes use it as a cruise control at crawling speeds. It
reducess the jerkiness of a bumpy ride and having you accelerator foot blip the throttle.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom