Don't buy Kansei truck wheels for your 80! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just a PSA, was needing some new wheels for the land cruiser, as the PO had a set of sketchy 2" spacers (with a snapped stud!) was looking at SCS wheels for a set of their 5 spokes. After hearing about lead times and seeing that Kansei had a sale on, I picked up a set of some pretty slick looking rims.

I measured, researched, yada yada what I thought was a sufficient amount before buying. right back space, right offset, 106mm bore, 8.5 width, right bolt pattern. seemed dreamy! Just got back from test fitting before heading to get my new 37s mounted, aaaaaaaaaaaand these wheels have a lip (that wasn't disclosed in the spec sheets or when I called them) that makes the bore more like a 100mm than a 106. they won't seat on the hub.

Shame love the wheels, might have to try and get the lip on the bore milled out? anyone done that?

IMG_7893.jpg

IMG_7913.jpg

IMG_7912.jpg

IMG_7914.jpg

good to know, i might try and return. might try and get them milled. where'd you go for that work done?
Just search for local machine shops near you and call around. I have a small local shop I use and he charges ~$75 hour, but not sure if this is average charge. It should be a fairly quick job and labor only. I used a metal lathe when I did mine years ago for $20 because I knew the guy so it was worth it but hard to say with inflated labor rates these days.
I'm sure you could get a quote by just sending over a picture of the rim before returning them just to make sure. Bad thing is, it is hard to find someone to do such a small job.

Return them

I own a machine shop and have done this and similar wheel mods many times.

$90/wheel sounds like a go-away price.

Usually it's not just boring out the center to an existing diameter. The job normally starts with the customer telling me what the size the bore of a mounted tire/wheel set needs to be machined to. The problem is they don't quite understand saying something like "Just bore it to 106mm- Super easy job!" actually means "I have no idea what size it needs to be and I will be very angry at you if my wheels don't fit when I can't measure anything correctly or give you the correct information.". This means I need an example hub or another wheel or I can bore it oversize if they are OK with lugcentric. This is about a $200 job to correctly bore four wheels with mounted tires.

If you have the unmounted clean, new wheels and they just need that lip removed it's a pretty quick job. I do not use a lathe for this. It isn't really a lathe job at all because chucking a nice wheel in a lathe chuck is very difficult to do without damaging the finish on the wheel. This is a CNC mill job. It's very easy to clamp the wheel true without damaging it. This would be about an hour job if you're not in a hurry, or $100.

You could remove that lip with router and a pattern bit your self really easy !

Common issue. Do it yourself, doesn’t have to be perfect. It won’t be seen.

I had that idea, and it scares me
If you have a router you can do it. Aluminum is softer than some hard woods. it's a small lip not much to take off !!
Keep the bit lubricated with WD40 or silicone spray and wear safety glasses.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom