doing the rear discs (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I have a question about rear disc brake conversion......

There is a local cruiserhead that makes brackets and does the Chevy conversions, but instead of having the rotors machined, he machines the hubs so that off the shelf rotors can be used. That way, the only time you would need machining done is if you have to replace the shafts.

Are there any downside to doing it this way that you can think of (other than having to dissassemble the axle the first time to do the conversion)?

I have a Man-a-Fre Wilwood front conversion, just waiting to get a knuckle rebuild kit and do it all at once.

The only downside I see is if you break an axle, then you need one already machined, actually you would have to carry both axles, cause you might break one or the other. If you machine the disk you can always throw a stock axle in that one of your buddies had in his truck. I machined the disk. Now how often does rear axle break? Dunno, never broke one.

The only downside I see is if you break an axle, then you need one already machined, actually you would have to carry both axles, cause you might break one or the other. If you machine the disk you can always throw a stock axle in that one of your buddies had in his truck. I machined the disk. Now how often does rear axle break? Dunno, never broke one.

Yeah, if I did the rear discs this way, I'd carry trail spares that were already machined. But after I break my first set of axles, I'd go with chromo axles anyway...

Another thing that I thought of, is that in a pinch you can always use the hillbilly lathe.....chock the front wheels, jack up the back end of the truck, take the hardware off the ends of the axles, start it up, put it in first gear and let it idle. Then use a course file or grinder to shave the hubs. :D

How many break and axle on the trail as opposed to break a rotor? I don't plan on ever replacing the rear rotors....but I'm old;)
Poser used to sell machined rotors at one time. He has the stuff to do it.

GL

Ed

How many break and axle on the trail as opposed to break a rotor? I don't plan on ever replacing the rear rotors....but I'm old;)
Poser used to sell machined rotors at one time. He has the stuff to do it.

GL

Ed

This is also an excellent point....

You should never "break" a rotor, and as long as you have a proportioning valve, and it's properly set up, then you should really never even warp or wear your rear rotors since the fronts do most of the stopping in a properly set up brake system.

One thing that I've been considering doing is seperate line locks for the front and rear brakes, mainly for holding on steep inclines, and also for use for front digging on tight turns, but even then the use of a line lock doesn't wear the pads and rotors, since you are already stopped when you engage the line lock, and it merely holds the brakes on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom