does the rear heater every heat up? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
i always thouht it was just MY rear heater that never got decently warm, but in my friends 40 the other day i noticed his never got very hot. we've concluded that by the time the fluid gets back there it just isn't all that warm anymore.
the front heater is doing it's job very well with plenty of uncomfortably hot air.

do any of you have this problem, or are there rear heaters that heat in existence?

Mine heats up nicely, but it ain't that cold here yet. The pipes do run back outside the cab, so maybe it takes a while (I'm sure some of the heat goes directly into the frame), but it should heat up eventually. It's right in front of my daughter's seat, and she's always asking me to turn it down.

Mine has it's own temperature setting, a lever right on the box--are you sure yours is on "hot"? Is the fan blowing? Maybe it's clogged with dog hair or something?

They do get filled with rust and stuff from the water system on the inside, and hair and dust on the outside. Helps a lot to clean them up occasionally. Yes, mine heats up with the rest of the system.

where is this temperature setting lever? i've never seen it on mine.

Must be a different version than mine is, too.

Well all my rear heaters in all the different Cruiser heat up very nicely(can get too hot for person with toes close). fj60/2 the pipes run underneath, also they have a temp controll on the heater, late model 40's also have temp controll.

fj40's pipes run inside the cab, no temp controll, heater only comes on when front fan is on high.

60/2/80 come on as long a the front fan is on, so high,meduim, low.

John

[quote author=Landpimp link=board=1;threadid=9721;start=msg85465#msg85465 date=1073405434]
Well all my rear heaters in all the different Cruiser heat up very nicely(can get too hot for person with toes close). fj60/2 the pipes run underneath, also they have a temp controll on the heater, late model 40's also have temp controll.

fj40's pipes run inside the cab, no temp controll, heater only comes on when front fan is on high.

60/2/80 come on as long a the front fan is on, so high,meduim, low.

John
[/quote]

Must be nice to be able to conduct "research" so easily! :D You should start charging a fee to run out to your driveway! we would get IH8MUD dicount, of course. ;)

both my old 40 and 60 would heat the frnt with the rear heater but I did have to clean the one in the 40 to get it to work better.... i even used it in the snow with no top and it pushed enoght heat so you feet didnt freeze ;)

Hey John,
The heaters in my 40 work independently of each other...at least I'm pretty sure they do. I have two knobs one for each with high and low speeds. Are they not supposed to be able to work independent ? It's a 73. Both put out heat nicely.

My rear heater would get as hot as the front when it was installed.
My 74 has one fan switch, pull all the way for both front and rear, pull partially for just front. Or, when the rear heater is removed, you end up with two front fan speeds, since none of the allocated "juice" is going to the rear.

My 73 factoiry softop also has the 2 controls. I "think" that it only came on the softops but yours might still be a hardtop with a softop dash :-\

I bet it is juswt crap filled up in it or in the pipes goint to it. I can cook an egg on mine.

Mine gets pretty warm but not hot. Remember, it's just a radiator. Eventually I'll pull mine and clean and/or recondition it.

Shouldn't get warmer than 180 degrees, unless your thermostat is broken. Wouldn't want to cook your kids back there.

[quote author=IDave link=board=1;threadid=9721;start=msg85612#msg85612 date=1073419536]
Shouldn't get warmer than 180 degrees, unless your thermostat is broken. Wouldn't want to cook your kids back there.
[/quote]

waddya mean?!?! u dont like fried kiddies? :slap: :doh:

my 72 has two knobs too.
i'll pull mine apart and check it out to see if it's gunked up or not.

[quote author=rusmannx link=board=1;threadid=9721;start=msg85665#msg85665 date=1073423542]
my 72 has two knobs too.
i'll pull mine apart and check it out to see if it's gunked up or not.
[/quote]
If it is, Its probably gunked up inside. You can either pull it and have it hot tanked, or just disconnect the pipes under the dash, and use a garden hose to force water through, mixing it muratic acid or radiator flush if you wish.

[quote author=toddslater link=board=1;threadid=9721;start=msg85569#msg85569 date=1073415342]
Hey John,
The heaters in my 40 work independently of each other...at least I'm pretty sure they do. I have two knobs one for each with high and low speeds. Are they not supposed to be able to work independent ? It's a 73. Both put out heat nicely.
[/quote]

not sure on a 73, I just assumed it was like latter............

[quote author=UGLY88 link=board=1;threadid=9721;start=msg85696#msg85696 date=1073425709]
MY 62 will work on its own as well, independantly of the front.
[/quote]

maybe a 62 but not a 60, the front fan must be on(any speed but off) before the rear will come on, I would have thought a 62 was the same, I'll check it out latter on connies........OK I went out on the snow and looked, yep the 62 rear heater comes on regardless of the front............hey I can be wrong sometimes :flipoff2:

Yep...went down and did the double take last night on my 73. Two knobs...one conspicously labeled "front fan" the other......"rear fan". The fans worked independently.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom