Dobinsons rear bumper install with pictures (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The vehicle didn't come with one, so there wasn't one on when I installed the bumper. I don't think having a hitch would inhibit the install at all.

Thanks for the info.

The Dobinsons bumper arrived this afternoon. I picked it up at the FedEx freight center. Now I need to get the 100 back from the paint shop to get started.

I literally just installed mine on my FJ62 yesterday. Instructions suck! Actually there aren’t any. Just some diagrams that aren’t 100% clear. I probably wasted at least an hour or two just figuring out the order of installation.
  1. Stock rear bumper brackets need to be removed6 welded rivets drilled and/or punched out (3 each side). The dobinsons uses those holes for mounting.
  2. Attach the main center bracket (I had to make about a 1/4” steel spacer to get the bumper more rearward. Otherwise the two side brackets wouldn’t line up. Also had to use my own longer grade 8 bolts to fit the spacer.) don’t torque it down yet. Leave it loose.
  3. Attach the two side brackets. Leave the bolts loose.
  4. Lift and place the rear bumper in place over the loose brackets. I used a floor jack with some 4x4’s to hold it in place.
  5. Now you can slide the two backing plates in place for the two outside brackets, get bolts all lined up on everything, and torque everything down.
  6. After that, the swing outs went on pretty quickly by following the diagram​
  7. I hope this can save someone some time somewhere.​

Does anyone know how to get an amber light for the outside (turn signal), red and then white reverse lights?

This is like the picture I ordered from.

1600311878068.png

The one that came in looks like this? Are light kits available?

1600312018553.png

Does anyone know how to get an amber light for the outside (turn signal), red and then white reverse lights?

This is like the picture I ordered from.

View attachment 2437982
The one that came in looks like this? Are light kits available?

View attachment 2437986
They changed the lights around earlier this year for ones that would seal better. The older ones aren't available, only replacements for however they shipped out this year would be available.

They changed the lights around earlier this year for ones that would seal better. The older ones aren't available, only replacements for however they shipped out this year would be available.

Thanks Mike. Just talked to Dobinsons. The new generation with two lights provides better seals.

The clear serves as both a backup and an amber turn signal light.

Here's the lighting key that I received from Dobinsons.

Clear light:

black – ground/negative

Brown – Turn signal positive

White – Reverse light positive

Red Light:

Black – Ground / negative

White – tail light positive

Brown – Brake Light Positive

Following to see what @OwnerCS truck looks like with the Dobinson rear.

@crikeymike Is there any way a hitch could be integrated (welded on) the bumper itself? Is it possible to cut a hole to match with in-bumper hitch that some LX had from factory?

Following to see what @OwnerCS truck looks like with the Dobinson rear.

@crikeymike Is there any way a hitch could be integrated (welded on) the bumper itself? Is it possible to cut a hole to match with in-bumper hitch that some LX had from factory?
You'd have to customize that yourself. It's designed to have the factory hitch sit below the bumper (bolted-on).

You'd have to cut the rear cross member and the bumper to feed something thru there, but you'll also be right in between where the latch handles go too.

I've been debating running a hole through the plastic body plugs for wiring from the tail lights to the bumper lights.

The plug on the left side already has two holes for trailor lighting. One of those holes is not used.

I ordered two new body plugs just to keep and drill out should I decide to go that route. I can use some plastic sealer on the body plug hole.

Any thoughts on routing the wiring through the body plug?

1600363862482.png

I've been debating running a hole through the plastic body plugs for wiring from the tail lights to the bumper lights.

The plug on the left side already has two holes for trailor lighting. One of those holes is not used.

I ordered two new body plugs just to keep and drill out should I decide to go that route. I can use some plastic sealer on the body plug hole.

Any thoughts on routing the wiring through the body plug?

View attachment 2438346
Look underneath and inside that apron on driver side- there are some plugs on the underside that provide direct access to the tire jack compartment and various 12v wire leads. That saves coming through the side of the apron and resides slight higher- less chance of water intrusion.

Look underneath and inside that apron on driver side- there are some plugs on the underside that provide direct access to the tire jack compartment and various 12v wire leads. That saves coming through the side of the apron and resides slight higher- less chance of water intrusion.

Will do. Thanks for the tip.

Question for anyone who put this on the 100, does the tire block the license plate? Or is there another place to put the tag with a tag light?

Question for anyone who put this on the 100, does the tire block the license plate? Or is there another place to put the tag with a tag light?
The jerry can carrier has a position and light for the licence plate relocation. Yes the tire will partially block it, especially if it's oversized

Is oversized anything bigger than 33”?
Anything over stock (a 31" tire). From a side angle, the tire would block it no matter how big it is, so cops would give you trouble, which is why it comes with the relocation parts to move the license plate.

Last one.

I don't love how I ran the reverse light for the passenger side across the bumper, but it will be fine, I found no good way to route it through the truck without drilling more holes, so I ran it through the back side of the bumper.

Here is completed wiring, and a look at all lights functioning. Lots of visibility!

View attachment 2200449

View attachment 2200450

6 lights saying "I'm stopping!".

The carriers were straight forward. Use TWO spacers on the bottom of the bottom bearing of you won't have clearance to get the lock pin into the cone. The instructions show one spacer. The bumper comes with spindle covers should you want to not have the carriers on. They aren't sealed, but seem like a good thing to hold onto. I didn't install the Jerry can bit in these pics, going to engineer a table onto that arm.

View attachment 2200451

You can't really see, but there are spots on the back, near the reverse light to hold a hi lift jack, and matching reinforcement. Great idea, and not noticable.

The online pics make it looks a little doofy, but it isn't that bad. The stock mud flaps attach right back to the side wings, so that is how far it will hang down for those that wonder.
View attachment 2200452

That is all!
In your pic you didn’t put in the Jerry can holder, but I noticed something is there, is that a place for the tag and tag light? Are you concerned with blocking the tag if kept behind the tire or have you moved it?

In your pic you didn’t put in the Jerry can holder, but I noticed something is there, is that a place for the tag and tag light? Are you concerned with blocking the tag if kept behind the tire or have you moved it?

Measure the space between your tail light and license plate, then compare that measurement to <any tire size>. Every tire will block the tag some, and large tires will block it entirely.

Two questions. Does the spare tire block the taillights? and is there a tow hitch option?

The jerry can carrier has a position and light for the licence plate relocation. Yes the tire will partially block it, especially if it's oversized
Two questions. Does the spare tire block the taillights? and is there a tow hitch option?
That was answered a few posts up. Yes, it will partially block it.

No, it's only designed to work around a factory style tow hitch that mounts below the bumper.

Ordered mine last week. Has anyone installed and wired the lights into a trailer harness?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom