Dobinsons 2" Coil Question (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Dobinsons coilovers arrived. I went ahead and ordered the rear spings and shocks too. Check these things out- they are beefy. Thanks for all the info!

20180713_110241.jpg

20180713_113619.jpg

20180713_115039.jpg

So i am starting the install tonight. All the parts are here for a full replacement. I got under the car and was looking at the sway bar. Will I need to remove sway bar links on both sides to move it up and out of the way? Or will I be able to pull the coilover out by just disconnecting one side? I haven't seen any instructions in the forums about the sway bar.

So i am starting the install tonight. All the parts are here for a full replacement. I got under the car and was looking at the sway bar. Will I need to remove sway bar links on both sides to move it up and out of the way? Or will I be able to pull the coilover out by just disconnecting one side? I haven't seen any instructions in the forums about the sway bar.

I think I took mine completely out since I was installing the relocation blocks but you may be able to take only one side off and loosen the bushing brackets so you can rotate it from the other side. I thought the instructions from Toytec were pretty good.

Check YouTube for "no compressor" shock replacement. You'll need an alignment anyway, so it's a good method. I didn't remove any sway bar components this way. Only thing he doesn't mention in the below video is too really loosen the lower control arms and pull the cam washers back so they rotate freely.

Thanks for the video. So I got the fronts in before seeing this. I did it by removing the sway bar bracket, sway bar link, and the 2 lower ball joint mount bolts and sliding it through the gap between there. It was tight but came out and the new coilovers easily slid back the same way. No Control arms were touched during the install.

Seems like a good way to go especially if ride height doesn't change. Mine came up 4". 2" lift and it was down about 2" from sag. I think it's hard to avoid an alignment with new springs.

Putting on the rear then heading out for an alignment. Did you have issues getting the rear shock off? I can't get that top bolt off .

Here is mine with the Dobinsons 302 up front with their gas shocks. Love em.

20180706_080006.jpg

she looks great!

So I'm all in except for the rear shocks. s*** ain't coming off. The top nut is not budging even soaking with PB blaster for two days. Pipewrench etc... I was going to cut as a last resort . Where did you cut the shock with the sawzall?

So I'm all in except for the rear shocks. s*** ain't coming off. The top nut is not budging even soaking with PB blaster for two days. Pipewrench etc... I was going to cut as a last resort . Where did you cut the shock with the sawzall?
Just cut across the bottom edge of the nut above the washer.

Nice riding suspension by the way. Here is what it looks like 1.75 up front 1.5 rear . It actually moved it up 2" inches and 1.95" rear .

View attachment 1765955

View attachment 1765957

Sorry for the old resurrection, but can you please share some info on this suspension combo?

1. what is your spring and shock combo?

2. measurements from center of hub to bottom of fender?

Thanks! Shopping Dobinsons right now and just looking for a super mild lift 1"-1.5"

Treaty Oak and Dobinsons USA both recommended:
C59-505 - 1.5” lift 405mm free height 220lb rate

C59-599 - 1” lift 395mm free height 220lb rate

These lift numbers are based on a Prado - which from everything I find is 300-500 pounds lighter than a GX. I'm trying to find actual GX measurements, but having a hard time finding info.
Thanks!

Slick ride. What sliders did you put on?

Well, I contacted many vendors with credit card in hand, wanting to purchase. Most never responded back. I complained in a post here and he came forward with building these for me. I had them in a couple of weeks including delivery. I would be happy to share his info. I don't know if it is ok to post his information here. I am happy to share in a PM.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom