Dobinsons 2" Coil Question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just installed the Dobinsons 302 Coils on the front of my 2004. The 302s are for stock weight and a 2" lift. I paired them with Blistein 5100s on the lowest setting (yes, I'm sure) and new Dobinsons top hats.

My Question is whether it's normal to get 3" of lift on a 2" setup? I'm assuming sagging of the 15 year old coils is at least part of the issue. Could I expect it to settle down over the next week? Will alignment change height much? It looks like I have plenty of clearance on the UCAs and no rubbing. Anything else to watch out for?

I searched and didn't find any similar issues, but point me in the right direction if there's already a thread out there.

If you had stock with over 100k you likely sagged an inch from factory and are now 2" up from the original mark. When I did my 3" I got 5" and it did settle a bit but was still over 4" from pre to post.

Thanks, Dan.

It settled another half inch after alignment this morning. I can report the ride is much better. After I get the rear where I want it, I'll post pics on the tire and lift thread.

i ordered 302s this wek, and they are for extra weight (110-220 lbs) according to the company I ordered them from (apex overland). That would be where the extra height would be coming from (I assume). Correct me if I am wrong, so I can update my order!

Download the manual from Dobinsons and make sure you look at the GX. The 302 is standard weight/2" lift for the GX because of the V8. I think you want the 314s for heavier loads, but check the catalog. The 302 is considered a heavier spring for 4Runners and FJC.

Mine alinged and I raised the rear 2" with the air bags, and I'm happy with ride and stance now.

Ok, thats a relief. Thanks. I didnt factor in the V8 weight, so that makes a lot of sense. I could not find info on the GX in the manuals, just toyota info. I will be doing the rear airbags lift as well until those give out on me.

Download the manual from Dobinsons and make sure you look at the GX. The 302 is standard weight/2" lift for the GX because of the V8. I think you want the 314s for heavier loads, but check the catalog. The 302 is considered a heavier spring for 4Runners and FJC.

Mine alinged and I raised the rear 2" with the air bags, and I'm happy with ride and stance now.
How exactly did you raise the rear and did you use the stock air bags? And how is the ride compared to stock?

I’ll have to take a picture of the side profile.

I raised the stock air bags and ride is decent. May give out sooner. I’m considering spacers for the bags because I like them for towing, and spacers may save them a bit.

All my air bag sensor bolts were seized, so I broke the two on each side under the frame and drilled and tapped new holes. I spaced them down about 5/8” and got right at 2” lift.

I’ll have to take a picture of the side profile.

I raised the stock air bags and ride is decent. May give out sooner. I’m considering spacers for the bags because I like them for towing, and spacers may save them a bit.

All my air bag sensor bolts were seized, so I broke the two on each side under the frame and drilled and tapped new holes. I spaced them down about 5/8” and got right at 2” lift.

Some side profile pics. Again, it's Dobinsons 302 springs with Blistein 5100s on all 4 corners. Rear airbag trick. Tires are BFG K/O2 265/70-17 E-rated. Wheels are 2016 Tacoma TRD Sport*

*I can't recommend these wheels as I had to grind the high points off my calipers to make them clear. If the wheel weights had been placed in line with the calipers, they wouldn't have fit.

IMG_20180704_190149.jpg

IMG_20180704_190159.jpg

IMG_20180704_190219.jpg

IMG_20180704_190223.jpg

That looks real nice. Exactly what I was going for. I have the same size KO2s on mine now, so I won't need to upsize with just the 2" lift. Where did you get those sliders?

Metal Tech OPOR. Use the install thread here on Mud.

I'd also recommend the no spring compressor method you'll find on YouTube for suspension install. Just make sure you pull the camper washers back (not just loosen the cam bolts) so your lower control arma can rotate down enough. Took me a while to realize that and would have saved time.

That helps a lot. Did you install the sensor back on the top of the new coilovers, or did you disconect it and remove it?

Changed out to blistien 5100. Had to cut off the sensors and PS shock nut. That was an oily mess.

Did removing that sensor cause any errors? Did you need to remove any fuses? I kind of remember reading something about pulling a fuse, but I can't find that thread again.

I didn't get any lights. I've read different years have different results. Mine is a 2004. I kept the wiring just in case.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom