Dobinson vs. OME Coil Springs on a LJ78 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

OME is fine
Dobinson is MUCH nicer.

i have run both and this is based on personal experience.

Thank you everyone for your opinions.
I still need to get new springs, shocks, and steering stabilizer for my 90 LJ78
Does anyone have the correct part # for Ranchos, OME, or dobinsons?

I am also in the market for a lift for my KZJ78 and based on Crushers experience I am going to go with Dobinson. I have emailed Dobinson international sales with my setup, OEM winch, custom bumpers (hopefully to come some point in the future) and times where I will be travelling with up to 8 adults and a couple hundred pounds of gear on the roof.

They came back with the following suggestion and pricing (plus ~$300 shipping to Canada):

· Front Coil Springs, C59-206 AUD$118 a pair

· Front Shock Absorbers, GS59-632 AUD$70.95 each

· Rear Coil Springs, C59-247 AUD$118 a pair

· Rear Shock Absorbers, GS59-633 AUD$70.95 each

· Steering damper, SD59-824 AUD$84.18

· Wheel Alignment Kit, SPF1721PK AUD$82.02

I also sent an email to west coast cruisers as I understand they deal with Dobinson kits but no response. I recall a recent post asking about what is happening at WCC but no response to that either.

If you go to the Dobinson site you can cross reference the part numbers. They recommended the long travel shock and 60mm for the rear and regular travel and 45mm for the front.

If you are interested, and are local, perhaps we can do a group buy.

You don't NEED the steering dampener and wheel alignment kit (castor correction?) but of course they'd love to sell you them...
Interesting that they recommended 60mm lift for back and 45mm for front when you are planning heavy duty front bumper and winch :confused:
Real shame they don't offer the variable rate springs for kzj's like they do for others.

Regards
Mark

I am also in the market for a lift for my KZJ78 and based on Crushers experience I am going to go with Dobinson. I have emailed Dobinson international sales with my setup, OEM winch, custom bumpers (hopefully to come some point in the future) and times where I will be travelling with up to 8 adults and a couple hundred pounds of gear on the roof.

They came back with the following suggestion and pricing (plus ~$300 shipping to Canada):

· Front Coil Springs, C59-206 AUD$118 a pair

· Front Shock Absorbers, GS59-632 AUD$70.95 each

· Rear Coil Springs, C59-247 AUD$118 a pair

· Rear Shock Absorbers, GS59-633 AUD$70.95 each

· Steering damper, SD59-824 AUD$84.18

· Wheel Alignment Kit, SPF1721PK AUD$82.02

I also sent an email to west coast cruisers as I understand they deal with Dobinson kits but no response. I recall a recent post asking about what is happening at WCC but no response to that either.

If you go to the Dobinson site you can cross reference the part numbers. They recommended the long travel shock and 60mm for the rear and regular travel and 45mm for the front.

If you are interested, and are local, perhaps we can do a group buy.

well, i have done the lift with the castor bushings and without.
although it can be done without the bushings there IS a difference if you do use them.

how it handles on the roads,
with out the bushings it doesn't track true.
with the bushings it tracks dead on, one finger gently at the bottom of the steering wheel no matter how "wavy" the road...

well, i have done the lift with the castor bushings and without.
although it can be done without the bushings there IS a difference if you do use them.

2" lift and above, the castor correction is advised.

You don't NEED the steering dampener and wheel alignment kit (castor correction?) but of course they'd love to sell you them...
Interesting that they recommended 60mm lift for back and 45mm for front when you are planning heavy duty front bumper and winch :confused:
Real shame they don't offer the variable rate springs for kzj's like they do for others.

The OEM winch is on already. I am bartering with a steel guy to fabricate a custom front bumper and hitch so it might take a little time for that but hopefully before the end of the year.

They made their recommendation based on how I told them I'd be using the truck, apparently it came from the president of Dobinson himself.

I only know enough to be dangerous ... I'll stick with the recommendation.

Dobinsons Spring & Suspension

There's parts catalogues with part numbers on Dobinsons webpage, I can't vouch for service over that side of the Pacific Ocean, but they're pretty good here and they're local to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom