Dobinson vs. OME Coil Springs on a LJ78 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Could I get some opinions regarding the difference between Dobinson 45mm Coil Spring and the OME 40mm Coil Spring replacements for a LJ78.

Also, is it necessary to also replace the shocks? The current shocks are 1 month old...and manufactured by Monroe under the name of Gabriel.

I have no clue about the Dobinsons coil springs but the leaf springs on my FJ62 are as level as the day I installed them in May of 2003 at the 3FE spring bash.

No cruiser lean, no sagging at all. I would definately buy Dobinsons agian.

Dunbar

i have a set of dobsin coming next month so i will have a report at that time (BTW, i have 2 extra sets for stock for those that are interested in lifting their LJ)
no news now, sorry
cheers

I remember reading somewhere,probably 4WD Monthly,that Dobinsons designed the coils for the LJ/RJ to be a big improvement over the OEM.
Many in oz saw the suspension as the low point on the Bundeera

I think they are a kind of 2 stage set up where the 1st 50 mm of spring compression is relatively soft to iron out the road bumps and after that they become become much firmer to handle loads.

It will be interesting to see if yours match those claims Wayne.

Anyone have any idea of the price difference between Dobs and OME?

What about the shocks?

Is it necessary to replace the shocks when I replace the springs? The current shocks are only 1 month old.

the kit i am going to be running has the new shocks included.
if you have longer springs with original stock length shocks then yes you will need longer shocks.

i'm also keen to know how you find these...

i want to lift my LJ70 but am not too keen to put OME in it. Are there any other off the shelf options?

anyone with OME that is happy with them?

I need a set of Dobinson coils for the '93 (hopefully with a slight lift to accomodate the winch), and a set of leaf springs for the '88 (again, with a lift for the winch I am adding). Anybody know where to direct me to make such a purchase? Keep in mind that I am not in Canada.

Panamaboone - can you please post the part # for your Gabriel / Monroe shocks that fit? Much thanks.

Johnny

dieseldog said:
I need a set of Dobinson coils for the '93 (hopefully with a slight lift to accomodate the winch), and a set of leaf springs for the '88 (again, with a lift for the winch I am adding). Anybody know where to direct me to make such a purchase? Keep in mind that I am not in Canada.

This CO company seem big on Dobinsons but only mention mini trucks Maybe worth a try.
http://www.185performance.com/zen/index.php?main_page=index

CAn you please post those shock numbers? Please?

i recently put OMEs on my 78, works like a charm on bumps and ruts. i can even speed over mini ramps on the highway, helped a lot on cornering and handling as well. i dont know about dobinsons, some1 offered me before, but id rather go with OME.

you have to change the springs as well, else you wont feel the difference

Great Jake, can you give me an idea of cost for your 78 OME setup - ballpark figure. You scrapped the stock elec shockies then?

Thanks,
Johnny

OME shocks and change the springs?

Could you tell us a little more about the cost of the OME and changing the springs? I'm thinking of ordering some OME but don't know how much new springs would cost or even a new set of coils on the front since they seem to get the most wear.

I as well am in the market for some suspension, for my LJ78. Wayne you had mentioned a while back you might have some stock 80 springs that would fit a LJ78, to help with the rear softness. Wondering if you still have them?

Also a friend of mine wants to upgrade his 2 1/2 '' OME setup to a 5",His vehicle is a 80 series. From what I've heard the springs are interchangable 70/80, how are the shocks? I'm asking this in regards to "trying" to install his lift on my LJ78. Or maybe the better (simpler/cheaper) route is to put on a set of rear stockers(80 series), being on a budget.

Thanks

- As for OME VS Dobinson, my friend there saw a mojor inprovement from stock with his 2 1/2 '' OME setup.

I did a approximate check on the coil diameters and I got a 6'' reading for the rear of the Lj78 and around 4- 4.5" for the front

can anyone confirm that, I have trouble fitting under the LJ

Suspension needed

I'm looking at doing a complete suspension upgrade. My rear suspension is completely depleted. I don't necessarily need a lift, but would like an adjustable system to keep the "luxury" of the landcruiser still alive!

Can anyone recommend a complete adjustable suspension system. I was looking at the Rancho 9000XL system today. The engineer was uncertain what product code I should use for my 1990 LJ78 RHD.

Can someone recommend a nice adjustable aftermarket suspension. I need it available to Canada.

I have recently installed the OME 2" lift kit onto my KZJ78, my front shocks was gone burger as the differences between before and after was 4" lift and the rear lifted by 3". Obviously being new shocks and springs vs totally worn out shocks the ride was bloody awesome as I would any new shocks and springs would. On the road I wouldnt slow down going over railways and for off road its just Awesome..

To me its money well spend.....:lol:

I have OME on the front of my KZJ78 but find them too harsh. Maybe if I had a winch as well them it would soften the ride a bit but with just a HD bumper i'm not that impressed. Also the bottom mount on one of my shocks busted off so I had to replace it! This opinion is echo'd in other places on the web also.
OME set ups are excellent on the heavy duty cruisers but not so on the 'light duty' ones.
I am in the process of going over to Dobinson as money allows...shocks on the front done, getting shocks for the rear tomorrow and whenever the shop has stock will get springs for the rear.

Regards
Mark

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom