Do you tow an Airstream? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I enjoyed reading this thread because when my wife and I retire we want to spend 3-5 years driving around visiting all the NP's in the country.
[ This couple is doing it in an airstream in 1 year: Home ]

The vehicle's ratings are there for a reason on a vehicle and are federally regulated so there is an even playiing field to compare vehicles (didn't use to be this way but now all manufacturers use the same standard to rate their vehicles)

The subsystems have safety factors and features built in for the brakes, drivetrain, suspension (cooling capacity is sometimes increased of power steering, engine oil, transmission coolers etc) to protect against catastrophic failure (yield, brittle fracture, overheating etc... ).
Let's not try to outsmart the design engineers or pretend like we have access to their design calculations in this forum...

This isn't to say some proactive measures like rear air bags and a wd hitch wouldn't help because they surely would in terms of handling.
Monitoring transmission temp is probably the one tool most beneficial to adjust driving habits while towing if one is worried about temperature.

Peace of mind says before you leave on a trip like this make sure your rotors and pads are brand new or recently replaced (same for the trailers brakes), get a good brake controller as well....
When you get home do a transmission service to get the old fluid out. Regardless of how careful you were monitoring it, it should be changed if you care about the longevity of your transmission.

We just bought an Airstream International Serenity 30'. I did a lot of research to see if there was any way to tow with our 09 200 but I didn't feel comfortable as I've never towed anything before. Prevailing wisdom on airforums.com was that 23' was the longest most people felt the 200 should tow. Otherwise, we would've probably bought a 25'. However... I found a young family (look about the same age as us) on Instagram who tows what looks to be a late model 30' with their 200. I don't know the details.. Have been meaning to reach out. Here's their website:

Adventures of Amors

Eric

Do you have more info on how to set up a scan gauge 2 for trans temps in a 200 series 5.7 urj?

I can't speak to scangauge but the formulas I used in EngineLink are at:

Towing with a 200-series Toyota Land Cruiser
  • Toyota A/T Pan Temp. PID 2182. Formula ((((A*256+B)*(7/100)-400)/10). Range -40 to 300. Units are F.
  • Toyota A/T TC Temp. PID 2182. Formula ((((C*256+D)*(7/100)-400)/10). Range -40 to 300. Units are F.
There is some info on the scangauge site IIRC about how to write their formulas, so perhaps if you find a formula for the Tundra or Sequoia you can use the info above to work it out since IIRC the formula is the same but just the PID is different on those vehicles.

We had an airstream FC 25FB and sold it to get our current TT, ORV Black Rock 22BHS. Comparing the 2 they are very similar length and weight. The airstream towed quieter (although I’m not sure better) as it had less ground clearance, was about 2’ shorter and the rounded profile and I got 1-2 mpg better mileage.

Now the reasons we sold it: our kids were getting bigger (they were 6 and 8 then) so we wanted a camper with bunks and more space inside with a slide out. Also the airstream was pretty limited on storage and we use our TT as a backcountry basecamp. Also we now realize the ORV is much better insulated, we’ve had it down in the 10-15 F (-12- -10C) in late August-Sept caribou hunting and is much more comfortable.

You see very few air streams up here in AK where a huge percentage of the population own campers, our dealer sells a ton of the airstream MB motor coaches and almost no TTs.

We liked our airstream they are solid and have that destinctive “look” and bought it PK (pre kids). We would consider going back to one when the kids are grown, But it will probably be a ORV Black stone.

I absolutely agree coleAK. Airstreams are at best a 2 seasons camper. Aluminum is not exactly sought for it's insulating propers, even with insulation sandwiched between the inner and outer skin. Ground clearance, they are low. Low enough that dragging the rear end is a regular occurance even when just entering gas stations. Hence why mine is lifted 3". For a family of 4, a 25' is cozy. Which is why I have a 27FB that we can grow into. Yes, all those curved corners give up storage space as well.

I did look briefly at them, but the rounded corners on the Airstream and lack of slides really does limit space.

So far I'm really digging our Lance 2185. Triple bunks, a dinette slide, and a walkaround bed are huge upgrades from the Surveyor we had. It's low to the gruond like your Airstream (or my old Surveyor) though. I haven't take it out in sub-zero temps but it is 4 season insulated. Airstreams are prettier but I don't think the current design is nearly as practical as other trailers.

Looking at getting the Airstream Basecamp with the new 2019 "X" package (main feature being the 3" lift, wrangler tires, and rock guards) for the wife and I as a simple weekender/short trip travel trailer. We have a 4mo and will have more kids. We're thinking we will let the kids sleep w/us and when they're big enough we will get a roof top tent on the LC for the kids while we sleep in the Basecamp. We're newbs to the whole thing, but going to look at some tomorrow.

We have had 3 RVs: a class A motorhome and the 2 TTs mentioned above. With more than one kid I can’t stress how nice it is to have bunk beds. Everyone up in AK has a camper (the only way you can opt out is if you have an airplane or large boat :). Almost everyone I know that had a rig without bunks have switched to one with afer the 2nd kid.

@LALC It really depends on the type of camping you like to do. Or how long you want to boondock for. Or if you like to spend time in the camper or outside of it. Fridge size. Water capacity. etc. So many things. And some you won't know until you experience it.

i'd encourage you to rent and try before you buy.

In regards to bunks, yes I'd like that too and perhaps will modify mine to add a bunk over one of the twin beds. And make the other side a small desk and day bed/lounge. The kids sleep like kings/queens and get the bedroom. My wife and I sleep on the 66" pullout sofa that turns into a pretty descent full size bed. We don't full time, so it's plenty of storage and space for our trips.

upload_2018-7-11_18-49-40.png

Are you towing your 27ft Airstream with the LX570? Wife and I are considering a 25ft Flying Cloud.

Are you towing your 27ft Airstream with the LX570? Wife and I are considering a 25ft Flying Cloud.

Yes. I'm actually headed out to the mountains tomorrow. She's handles it with aplomb. I seriously wouldn't tow with anything else: no pickup, no 3/4 ton, no slade or expedition. Biggest asset by far is its incredible maneuverability. I can get her in places long wheelbase pickups can't even comprehend. Range is a bit limited with the stock tank, but there's aftermarket solutions now.

LXAS2.jpg

Awesome. Thanks for the reply. Very encouraging considering all the talk on the Airstream forums that you "must" have a truck to tow anything over 23ft!

I'd like to echo what @TeCKis300 said, @LACL. If at all possible rent or at least buy used. This whole RV thing is a learning process and what is great for some is terrible for others. I've seen a vid of a family that full times out of the same trailer that @linuxgod has. I've recently read of others who are frustrated with that same trailer and are looking to get a 5th wheeler. It really takes using these things a few times to see what works for you and if the RV life is something you truly want to do. Renting isn't cheap at all. But you might save yourself a ton of money compared to buying/selling/buying. Also, the RTT thing has been hit and miss with some folks. You might find that your kids want the trailer and want you and your wife to sleep on the car where you have to climb down a ladder if you need to hit the potty in the middle of the night. ;)

As for Airstreams, they certainly are classics and aside from the low clearance tow great (partly do to the fact that they are low.) Like Geoff, we have a Lance which is also low but has a slide out that makes a huge difference in living space. I know a number of Lance owners who have taken their's to Alaska as they can come equipped as a 4-season trailer. We've camped in below-freezing weather but not below zero.

+1 for @Dan Higgins comments.

Every trailer will be a compromise. And it really does depend on how you use it. For instance:
  • We do a lot of off-grid camping, often in the woods where it's shady, so efficient water use and electricity is important to me. The fridge in my Lance is smaller than the one that was in my old Surveyor. Some people who full-time it install a residential fridge, and if you can hook up to shore power or don't mind running a generator then that's great, but we need to be able to run it on propane and battery with only solar recharging.
  • I like the convertible sofa bed in our Lance but the sofa isn't terribly ergonomic and we lose the "throw our crap on the sofa 'storage' space" we had in the Surveyor. Then again we don't spend much time in the camper except to sleep and do some cooking (mostly breakfast) and eat if it's raining.
  • I sold the 24" 12V TV and used the $ to buy cabinet doors so I could create more pantry space, since we find we run short on cabinet spaec for dry goods on our long trips and we have a no-TV policy when traveling
  • Airstream bodies will last forever and hold up much better than laminates which can leak and delaminate, but things like the windows, fridge intake, awning arms, etc are "custom" (very different than most trailer manufacturers) which means if you do have an issue it's likely to be more expensive to fix and may take longer to source parts.

+1 for @Dan Higgins comments.

• I sold the 24" 12V TV and used the $ to buy cabinet doors so I could create more pantry space, since we find we run short on cabinet spaec for dry goods on our long trips and we have a no-TV policy when traveling
I knew I liked you.

I knew I liked you.
Thanks. :) It's our "be present and live in the moment" rule.

To be fair, the policy doesn't apply to the drive, it just starts once we arrive somewhere. I cannot imagine driving 22 hours from Chicago to Telluride with 3 kids in the back seat without allowing mindless entertainment. I know lots of people did it years ago in their station wagons, but for my sanity the man who invented the portable DVD player is my hero. But once camp is set up, whether we're at the site or out wheeling or generally exploring, it applies.

We actually apply it to phones too (which atm only applies to us and my daughter since my younger boys don't have them) with just a few limited exceptions like checking the weather for the day, using AllTrails while on the trail, Google maps when driving, tripadvisor to find food, and spotify because rock music. No texting or phone calls (outside of trying to locate someone), and definitely no games. But what's fair is fair - we do apply the electronics rules to ourselves as well.

I’ll be renting a 19 ft international for a 3 week trip through New England area.

I’ve always loved Airstreams, and really want to do a trip with one. But I’m not much of an RV guy, really just like to off road and camp. So I figured I’d never do it.

But I have a 2 month old, and while I’m all about taking tiny kids on off-road trips. I’m not comfortable rocking my infants neck around for two weeks through the Vermont overland trophy trails. Once here’s 9 months or older, game is back on!

So, gonna make the best of the situation, and do a probably once in a lifetime Airstream road trip (with one Vermont class 4 trail day just for me), and I’m pretty darn excited for it.

Thanks to all those experienced towers on here (@coleAK, @TeCKis300, @linuxgod), I’ve learned a lot. I have lots of experience towing, but not with light trucks, and you guys sure have helped me out.

When you get home do a transmission service to get the old fluid out. Regardless of how careful you were monitoring it, it should be changed if you care about the longevity of your transmission.

It is my understanding that this is hard to do, because the transmission is now sealed.

It is my understanding that this is hard to do, because the transmission is now sealed.
Nope, it's not hard. The FSM has instructions, but basically:

1. Disconnect transmission cooler line out of the radiator and route it into a bucket
2. Short the transmission temp solenoid, either directly or using Techstream
3. Start truck. Drain a quart. Stop truck. Fill a quart. Rinse, repeat, wipe hands on pants
4. Reconnect cooler line into radiator

Toyota charged me $125 to do the above (plus fluid, but I brought my own). They changed out 12 quarts of fluid, basically doing the above until the fluid coming out looked clean.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom