Do you know about air hammers and needle scalers? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

e9999

Gotta get outta here...
Threads
I could use a needle scaler to do some derusting.
I do have an old air hammer. Devilbiss.
I do see some inexpensive needle scaler "attachments" that are intended to be used as replacement on a dedicated needle scaler from what I can tell.
But I'm wondering if they could be used on my air hammer so I don't have to buy a dedicated needle scaler for that one job. It looks like some of them screw on. I don't how how universal the air hammer "threads" up front are, though. Those threads are intended primarily to hold the chisel spring it seems, but perhaps can be used to hold the needle attachments too. Don't know and have not found conclusive info yet. The thread up front on my air hammer is a hair under 30mm OD and the thread is about 3mm or 8 pitch. No idea if that is a standard.

Anybody knows if those needle attachments would fit on something like this? TIA

Can't answer your question, but I used a scaler one time for about 10 minutes. Never again. The noise will make you suicidal, and the vibration kills your hands. Get a sand blaster.

Needle scalers are awesome and addictive when used on the right surface. Use for SCALE rust, not surface or pitting rust, that is best for blasting or grinding. If you have rust that needs to come off in the form of chunks and debris, you will not be disappointed. That said Ive never tried an attachment for an air hammer but harbor freight scalers work great and are cheap AF. I see no reason it wouldnt work though, hell, an air hammer without needles works on heavy stuff.

Yup, they work great. And I got some nasty stuff to clean up on convoluted surfaces. It's even good that it will leave some surface rust behind cuz I plan to use a rust converter primer. I also want to use it for welding slag and peening.

It would be nice to get an adapter for a small cordless rotary hammer, too, if they even exist. They have them for SDS-type tools, but my Hilti is way too big to use for needle scaling.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom