Do you camp IN your 200? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I follow the YouTube channel SUVRVING and I'm inspired to camp inside my 200. However, even though I'm only 5'6" tall, there's hardly enough room for me to stretch out in back. I don't want to remove the 2nd row seats or the jump seats, and I'm wondering if anyone has come up with another solution. I'd like to spend several weeks out in Escalante, Utah exploring the back roads, but I've always been encumbered by an RV. Is a roof top tent (or ground tent) the only option? I want to be self-contained.

Will most likely have to build a sleeping platform that rests on top of the second row and third row. Or could support it between the two pulled up third row seats.

Like this:

I've also seen a pre-2016 model with the front headrest removed and the front seats reclined fully, so that you can lounge in the second row with your legs in the front seats. Can't find the thread right now though.

Just 1 person? Easily doable for 2 without any mods.

Any of the great Exped or exped like mattresses laid over the second and 3rd row seats with seatbacks put down will do. Use moving blankets or jackets to approximately level the the contours and bridge the gap between the seats, and the mattress will take care of the rest (sorry pun).

Beats sleeping in any tent or RTT in high winds. If you have remote start, it's nice to be able to fire up the car while still snuggled up in frigid mornings. For the LC, you may want to add an interior hatch release mod

Last edited:
It isn’t a large time investment to remove the third row. Or even to remove one side of the third row. Could use the space to put in a single drawer, which is both a bed base and a storage unit for your stuff.

You could try something like this. I have one for my 100 and it is quick and easy to set up. It should fit a 200 although the upper and lower hatches are not as symmetrical as the 100. I'm the same height as you and the open tailgate gives you additional space. It may not be the most weather or bug-proof solution, but that is not a problem where I camp.

Amazon product ASIN B007WT1GYQ

Last edited:
I follow the YouTube channel SUVRVING and I'm inspired to camp inside my 200. However, even though I'm only 5'6" tall, there's hardly enough room for me to stretch out in back. I don't want to remove the 2nd row seats or the jump seats, and I'm wondering if anyone has come up with another solution. I'd like to spend several weeks out in Escalante, Utah exploring the back roads, but I've always been encumbered by an RV. Is a roof top tent (or ground tent) the only option? I want to be self-contained.

I’m 6’3” 250#.
Just slept in the back on the San Rafael Swell last week. Drawers + second row folded down gives 80+ inches. Even with my Kaon roof shelf, I fit.

Like this:
830C3A37-A874-4833-950F-1C0E91E1F902.jpeg
01434276-F439-46EB-9BA8-CB16578FB5C2.jpeg

It isn’t a large time investment to remove the third row. Or even to remove one side of the third row. Could use the space to put in a single drawer, which is both a bed base and a storage unit for your stuff.

Nah. 4 bolts and about 5-10 minutes max...if you didnt have your morning coffee.

At this point it takes me about 20 minutes to remove my second row for trips, even with the 60 side being a heavy bastard when doing it solo.

With the third row out too you get the 80ish inches of drawers lined up with second row.. but you are sleeping on the floor so you don’t have the head room penalty.

At this point it takes me about 20 minutes to remove my second row for trips, even with the 60 side being a heavy bastard when doing it solo.

With the third row out too you get the 80ish inches of drawers lined up with second row.. but you are sleeping on the floor so you don’t have the head room penalty.

I am always amazed how HEAVY the second row seats are. 60% side is bot fun to heft around...

Nah. 4 bolts and about 5-10 minutes max...if you didnt have your morning coffee.
Using an impact driver, it is such a trivial job. Hardest part is the first time you remove the plastic trim covers and are nervous about breaking them.

We're going both tent camping and truck camping with our 200 this summer. I've done a good bit of truck camping in a 4Runner - treasured memories which are some of my life's favorite.

Roof-top tents are in high demand so there are no bargains to be found now. Plus, I'm sure many of them are on back-order. I think it's wise that if anyone is going to get a roof-mount tent to be very sure it's how they want to sleep. I recommend you take out the 3rd row - one of the easiest "mods" to do. After you pull the plastic pieces then the seats unbolt and come out quickly.

It's easy to make space in your rig to sleep. Take out the 3rd row, move up the 2nd, then put down pads/blankets/pillows and try it out at your home. Give yourself an afternoon to try different things including where you are going to store the food cooler/boxes, water, cold gear, etc. One huge advantage of sleeping in your rig instead of a tent is the ability to warm up quickly if it's cold. I've slept below 0F in my 4Runner and quickly learned my cold tolerance (which is more like 40F). Plus, as others have indicated, if it's going to be very windy then inside is preferred.

As long as you have enough sleeping and wearable gear for cold weather, enough food/water/toiletries, then there's not much more you need. It's really enjoyable to find a spot, sleep in the back, and then easily move on the next morning if so desired.

If you're wanting to find one spot for several days and roam around while you are there, put a tent to "reserve" your spot for the night.

You might want to look into cheap netting with rubber-coated magnets. These are used to allow a window to be slightly down for air flow and preventing mosquitos from entering.
Amazon product ASIN B01GHOJA4YAmazon product ASIN B00MB8YE5Q

For summer camping, agreed, some additional breathing is good! A number of us use "screen socks" over the second row doors. For hot summer camping, that may not be enough. I've also used a hatch tent similar to @terrapin which opens up the rear of the vehicle dramatically making the interior feel like a large tent, that also helps airflow and some shade. A small USB fan that clips to various thing is also a nice to have to keep some airflow through the day/night.

1619369626943.png

1619369650444.png

More details here

I sleep in mine. With both 3rd row seats and second row seats folded up or forward i fit and im 5'10. Its not the most comfortable if you sleep on your back but im a side sleeper so it works

All the time, as a matter of fact, I sold my Lance trailer. This method is way more fun and the flexibility and ease of camping are great. I have a drawer system I built and my third-row seats are removed and stored. I have a small power source and battery-powered lighting. Mosquito netting attaches via magnets to the outside window frame. Great in warm weather for bugs and cross ventilation. I keep my Yeti on the floor of the front seat and the block ice will last 5 days. I did install the rear hatch release switch which was an easy job. I fly fish and have a 4 rod River Quiver on the roof so that aspect is very organized and out of the way. Leveling is important so carry a level and a method to raise a wheel or two. I posted "A Good Night Sleep In your Truck" in January 2021 if anyone wants to look there, good info as well?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom