Do They Exist: Solid Axle '86 4Runner or '85 22RE Turbo? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi, this is going to sound like a weird question.

Background:
I'm planning a KOH 2019 stock class 4600 build and am researching 1st gen 4runners (I have an '87 SR5 Turbo in the garage). Given the limitations of the Ultra4 Rulebook, engines and suspension have to match across year/make/model specs and no forced induction (Turbo or Supercharger) allowed unless it was a factory option.

Now ideally an '85 with a Turbo (Solid Axle Suspension) or '86 with a Solid Axle (Turbo 22RTE Option) is the perfect combination. But I'd have to find proof that they actually did/could have existed.

Here is all that I could find:
1) '85 with Turbo: Someone saying: "What most don't know is that the 22R-TE also came out in 1984. It was not widely advertised, however, until 1986. So if you were in the know, you could perhaps have ordered a factory Truck/4Runner with solid axle and Turbo."
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...e-22re-151705/

2) '85 with Turbo: A seller, who Pirate says was a liar, saying: "it matchs the vin number and they made a small production run with the Turbo"
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/toyot...ts-better.html

3) '86 with Solid Axle: "You are not imagining things. Although it is difficult to find any record of it on the internet now, Toyota did sell some number of solid axle trucks with 1986 VIN codes. I owned one for a number of years. I'm not sure if they were just trying to use up old hardware or they made a running change during 1986 production, but there were definitely solid axle trucks sold as 1986's. In fact, it was common knowledge among most Toy dealership parts departments....they would commonly ask me if I had a 1986 or a 1986 1/2 depending on what part I needed. I'm not sure if there were other differences but the suspension is the one that stood out."
https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/...pickups.95536/

I've run out of luck finding more evidence. Either route works for me:
a) Get a '85 that I can prove could have had a 22RE Turbo, and put one in.
b) Get a '86 Solid Axle (likely very rare and hard to find) and put a 22RE Turbo in.

Can anyone find written evidence that either of these options did/could have existed?

You'd have better luck posting this in the pre-Tacoma section: 95-older Toyota Truck Tech

Ya, but the answer would still be no.

I suspect what those folks are talking about is yes, you could find a truck built in 1985 with a turbo, but it was a 1986 model. The models change over in August the year before. So the 22RET 4Runners were built 8/1985 - 8/1987. That equals the 1986-87 model years. Same logic works for the solid axle.

Good luck with your search. I really doubt it, on both counts.

Ya, but the answer would still be no.
Shoot - I posted it in the wrong section. I just posted it in the right section. Pappy, can you remove this thread as it's in the wrong spot.

Thanks.

As far as the logic I posted above ... yes, I can back that up with written Toyota documentation.

And the move was in process.

I had a 1986 RN67 / 4Runner 22R-TEC back in high school circa. early 1990's

My year was the first option year for the Turbo

It was Defiantly Not offered in a Pre-1985 RN5# / RN6# Series Trucks , At least here in the USA

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom